Chapter 3: Puppy Dog

The door opened moments later and there he was. I was leaning against the wall with the unlit cigarette between my lips, watching him. He spotted me and meandered over with hands in his pockets and shoulders close to his ears. It wasn't cold out but it was chilly for L.A.

"I feel like a puppy dog following you." Words meant for me yet his eyes drifted across the others in the parking lot.

"You didn't have to come outside if you didn't want to." I said, fishing in my bag for something to spark the end of my American Spirit.

"That's what I mean, though. I don't want to wait." His brow was furrowed but it relaxed the moment his gaze returned to me. "I want to be near you." 

I was glad to have something in my mouth to hinder a smile.

"Can I light it for you?" He asked, stepping closer and closing us off from the rest of the world.

"Sure thing, puppy dog." I found myself saying as I languidly held the lighter out.

A hearty laugh escaped his lips as he took what I offered. "Guess I set myself up for that, didn't I?"

I hummed in agreement and when the sound landed in his ears his smile widened.

My body was between the brick and the tension that soon engulfed what little space separated us. His playfulness made him that much more alluring. I put my hand on his as if my intention was purely for the nicotine. We both watched the end light in a cherry red before he pulled the flame away and our eyes met.

I took a deep inhale and felt myself melt back against the brick as I exhaled. The remnants of bitter alcohol were blanketed with the sharp, almost numbing taste of tobacco. My eyes closed on their own as I inhaled and tried to sort out all of the sensations. My heart was racing. I needed it to slow down. Another inhale, then a long exhale of smoke left my mouth before I willed myself back to the present.

When I opened my eyes I noticed his shoulder leaning against the brick with his body next to mine.

"You don't mind that I smoke?" I asked, flicking the tail of ash onto the ground.

He shrugged, "I could take it or leave it. But I did like watching that just now. Whatever that was."

I smiled and took another drag. "Just trying to find my center."

Smirking and leaning impossibly close he asked. "Why? Do I make you feel flustered?"

✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺

Thank you so much for reading! As I'm writing this I don't think anyone has, but I'm all about ✧manifesting✧.

I love this silly goofy sexy guy and I'm trying to do his personality justice through this story. Hopefully it's palatable.