Chapter 22: Say Please

Pedro: Hey Clementine

Pedro: I'm sorry I'm not able to meet up this weekend, but I have a bit of free time tonight. Would you like to Facetime?

My bottom lip found its way between my teeth. I stared at my phone screen. The top half notified me of Pedro's text while the main thing on my screen was my Instagram searches:

Dan pottery
Dan ceramics
Dan potter LA

The list went on. I couldn't help myself. The lie, and I knew it was a lie, that I repeated in my head was that I just wanted to see more of his art. Get a better idea of what he made, maybe even see a website or a post including something like a mission statement. Just for work. The results were null. I found many potters, but none that looked like him.

With a heavy sigh I dropped my phone on the table and rubbed my eyes with both hands. How was it that things had shifted so quickly for me? This morning all I could think about was Pedro and after my walk I was plagued with images of Dan. His smile, how that olive sweater fit around his large arms, the way he looked at me before I left. My mind creating imagined conversations we'd have in order to compensate for how embarrassing I'd been in the one that actually occurred.

Funny how I decided against finding someone new on the app but stumbled upon someone in real life. I had to think about that carefully, though. Sure he was handsome and charming, but I could never mix work with my personal life. My friendship with Lane was different because that's all it was- friendship. I could either try to pursue something with Dan or try to show his work at The Pit.

I knew I wouldn't have an answer tonight, but it was a welcome distraction from the insecure thoughts I was having about Pedro. It seemed to work out in my favor too because here he was, (trying to) make time for me like he said. I just needed to exercise more patience and switch gears when I caught myself thinking about Pedro too much.

The vibration of my phone pulled me away from my inner dialogue.

Pedro: Let me know. XXX

I felt the corners of my lips twitch.

Emi: XXX??

Pedro: Triple kiss.
Pedro: Or something more if you're feeling it.

Emi: Am I the booty call now?

I teased, thinking back to when I Facetimed him while I was drunk.

Pedro: Never. Just miss you.

Like leaves stirred by the wind I felt my stomach tumble in the most gentle manner. It was sweet but had the potential to be spicy. I tested the waters for spicy.

Emi: Me? Or the half-naked version of me you saw last week?

Pedro: Don't remind me.

I scoffed, quickly replying.
Emi: That bad, huh?

Pedro: That good, actually.

"Oh." I said out loud as a familiar wetness began to coat the space between my legs. The memory alone was enough to turn me on, but the thought of him being turned on by it, and at a time that maybe wasn't good for him, did something to me.

I had always liked pushing the limits of appropriateness, straddling the line of people lacking awareness and full on exhibitionism. I often wondered if Pedro was like that too from the way he flirted shamelessly at the bar to the fact that he often fantasized about fucking me in front of a mirror, both of us watching. Those examples were on opposite sides of the spectrum, but when he said 'don't remind me' I imagined him in a meeting, covertly texting and suddenly getting hard. I squeezed my legs together.

Emi: Bad time?

Pedro: The worst.

Emi: So you wouldn't want to know if I was wet right now?

The ellipses appear and then disappear several times. I wondered if he was trying to think of what to say. If he was torn because he did want to know, but couldn't. After a couple minutes of this and then thirty seconds without a response I felt a bit of shame. I started to type out a response but saw one from him.

Pedro: Can we resume this conversation on Facetime?

Emi: What time?

Pedro: 9 or 10

I glanced at the time at the top of my screen. It was only five.

Emi: That's a long time from now.

Again, the bubbles appeared and disappeared before he settled on something.

Pedro: Be a good girl and wait for me?

Normally I would turn my nose at that kind of language, especially since it seemed to feed into the large age gap between us. But for once I found myself liking it to the point of wanting to hear him say it in person. Still, I didn't want him to get the impression that I would easily submit.

Emi: Say please.

Pedro: Please?

A shiver ran up my spine and I wanted to go into my room and touch myself right then and there. I knew it would be better to refrain. To wait and hear his voice, see his lips and imagine how they'd feel against my skin, hear him describe what he'd do to me. I had to stop myself.

Emi: Try and make it 9, ok?

Pedro: On the dot. Cross my heart.

I thought about saying something else but I was worried I'd continue to push it. Instead I locked my phone and took a deep breath. How could I kill 4 hours of time when the ache between my legs took all my attention?

My phone vibrated with another text. This time I was surprised to see the name of one of my coworkers.  

Randy: Hey, I know it's your day off but something happened at the gallery. Can you swing by?

My stomach sank and mind instantly went to the worst case scenario. The show I had spent months preparing for was just two weeks away. If something happened to one of the pieces, or one of the artists pulled out, the whole thing would be ruined. I needed some kind of reassurance.

Emi: Please tell me everything is ok. 

Randy: I'd rather not go into it over the phone. It's better if you're here. 

I checked the traffic and it was going to take at least 45 minutes to get down there. I wasn't sure if I believed in God, but I was starting to think that if there was one, they had a messed up sense of humor. 

 ✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺

Hiiii! It has been WAY too long since I updated this story and I'm sorry for not updating sooner. I love this story and these characters and I was really struggling with writers block. Not to mention my life got hectic and busy and it was nearly impossible to take the time to sit down and continue this story in a way that felt right. I know this is a short chapter, but I figured I'd post something and I'm hoping I can write a little more this weekend. 

Let me know what you think!