Chapter 12: I'm Terrible With Impulse Control

He turned the key in the bottom lock, then the top. I stood behind him, watching and taking in the small space outside the door marked 203. There were a few healthy plants and a small wind chime that appeared to be more for decoration than anything else. I imagined him tending to the succulents, yucca, and aloe vera, and a smile spread across my face.

After stepping inside and turning on the light, Pedro pressed his arm against the door to hold it open for me. His muscles were pronounced by his action and semi-wet clothes. The hallway was small and cramped, leaving little space between us as I entered.

"Thanks." A soft spoken reply fell from my lips. The image of those arms pinning my wrists above my head flashed in my mind. I found myself wishing I could have another cigarette.

"My pleasure." He replied, eyes covertly scanning down my body.

Once inside the weight of the situation hit me. His suggestion made the most sense at the time, but now that I was here I felt a bit lost. We had no idea how severe this rainstorm was or when it would cease, and every minute spent with him seemed to bolster my imagination and chip away at my self-control. Silly of me to believe the fallacy that one cigarette could straighten me out when he was so effortlessly attractive and we were going to be in his personal space for an indeterminate amount of time.

"God it's freezing in here. Would you like some coffee? Tea?" He offered, peeling off his jacket and hanging it by the door.

"Oh um," I took a moment to decide and erred on the side of caution, 'tea, please. Non caffeinated  if you have it."

"Don't like caffeine?" He asked as he walked past me and into his kitchen.

"I do, but I don't think it would be my friend in a situation like this," I answered honestly.

Naturally, I associated being in someone's personal space with a carnal experience, and even though I wasn't ready for that to happen with Pedro just yet, my imagination, and my body didn't seem to get the message. The fight for control contributed to a low level of anxiety that didn't need to be exacerbated.

"What kind of situation is this?" He asked, sounding like he knew something I didn't.

"I don't know," Not honest this time.

I watched the muscles in his back move as he pulled out a kettle and filled it with water.

"I'm anxious about my car. Don't need to add to it, you know?" A half truth.

"Oh," a tinge of disappointment beneath understanding, "Well, you're safe and that's the most important thing, right?"

"Yeah, safe and cold." I deadpanned and leaned against the wall.

He laughed, "Patience is a virtue, you know."

"I've never been good at it," I replied, finding it hard to drag my eyes away from his body as he opened different cabinets to gather all of the supplies.

Once he finished he turned to me with his back against the counter, hands holding onto the edge. The slight smirk on his face told me he could understand the hidden language beneath my words.

He pushed himself away from the counter, "Another thing we have in common." he said as he made his way toward me.

"Don't say that. You're supposed to be the virtuous one." I flirted, playing at disappointment but only so I could pout.

I was successful in directing his gaze to my lips, though if I was honest I didn't really need to do anything for that to happen. Still, I couldn't seem to help myself.

"Mm, you'd be surprised," The air became thicker as the space between us diminished. "I'm terrible with impulse control." His tone was hushed and husky as he stood right in front of me.

"Now that you mention it, I guess I can think of a few examples."

The memory of being kissed by him washed over me. I felt myself reach out to the waistband of his jeans, pulling him closer. I thought of trailing my hand down the front with the slightest bit of pressure, wondering how he'd respond.

I felt him tilt my head up with the forefinger from his free hand. He curled it underneath my chin and let his thumb brush against my cheek.

"Would you like another?" He asked, eyes darting between my own and my lips.

I felt my pulse between my legs as my breathing got heavier. Body tingling, and alive with anticipation. I was wet and this wasn't from the rain.

"What do you think?" I whispered, fighting the fluttering of my eyelids and the rules I had set for myself. I wanted this, it didn't matter how early it was or what the consequences were.

"I think..." Pedro leaned down, lips barely brushing mine, "I should go get us some fresh clothes." retreating slowly, and then all at once, he left and went into his bedroom. 

Stunned and alone, I was unable to move.

Did that really just happen?

Then the crashing wave of emotions: I was petrified by my willingness to give in so easily, confused by the effect he had on me and how easy it was for him to just walk away, disheartened that the moment had ended but appreciative that it didn't go farther. Finally, I felt resolved. I shouldn't have let myself get caught up in the moment like that. He was such a tease but two could play at that game.

He returned a minute or so later wearing new clothes. In his hand were a shirt and a pair of sweats, "Hopefully these will fit."

"Let's see." I stared at him as I unbuckled my belt and slid it through the belt loops, letting it drop to the floor. Then I unbuttoned and unzipped my pants. He opened his mouth as if to object but nothing came out. I peeled my pants off and stepped out of them, wearing only a thong and my shirt. I watched his face as his eyes scanned down my body and he swallowed hard. Then, I untied the front of my shirt before turning around and sliding the arms off one by one. I wasn't wearing a bra so I covered my chest as I twisted slightly to grab the shirt from his hand. After throwing it over my head I turned to him again, trying not to think about how good it smelled. Pedro was rubbing his chin and the area around his mouth, fingers lingering on his lips. I grabbed the sweatpants from his other hand and slipped them on, one leg at a time before cinching the drawstring tight around my waist.

His eyes met mine and I looked at him as if to say see, I can tease you too.

"Emi-" He started but I interrupted him.

"Where should I put my clothes?" I asked innocently.

"Uh," he gave a raspy, nervous laugh before rubbing his eye, "shower curtain rod, I guess. The bathroom is through that door."

I gathered them up and went, smiling to myself.

✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺

Kind of a filler, kind of light smut, kind of just whatever but I hope you guys like it! I might come back and edit it a bit or add more, but I wanted to post something since it's been like a week or so since I updated this story. This date is like six chapters long maybe more lmao but ITS FINE ITS COOL. TOTALLY NORMAL STUFF. Anyways, thank you so so much for reading <3 :)