Chapter 14: Would You Like My Advice?

Pedro: Hey Clementine. How's your day going?

Emi: Clementine?

Pedro: What? It's small, vibrant, sweet, and it's even got your name in it.

Emi: That last part is a bit of a reach.

Pedro: Just wait until you hear me say it in person. You'll change your mind. Speaking of in person, when can I see you again?

He was skilled in the art of making me grin at my phone. It had been a little over a week since that rainy day date and we had been texting regularly. Of course, we both had work and other social obligations that prevented us from constant contact, but moments like this were satisfying.

"You're looking extra cheerful today. Any good news?" Lane noted.

We were getting ready for a three artist exhibition. Her suite of large paintings would be alongside ceramic sculptures from another artist, and wall-bound plasticine reliefs as well as a large-scale inflatable sculpture from a different artist. The goal was to display three distinct art mediums to reveal the impact of Kawaii culture on artists from different backgrounds. It was a large undertaking since I was the only curator on this exhibit, so I had spent the morning writing emails and drafting the mission statement of the installation.

"Not work related." I smiled at her and put my phone back on my desk.

"Ooh, you know, it's been a while since we got drinks." She said as she placed a large canvas against the wall. "What time are you off again?"

I took a sip of my matcha latte while checking the time on my computer, "In a few hours. I'm just waiting to hear back from Kochi, Samuel and Arturo."

There was no real distinction between the office space and the loading dock. It was all one large room in the back that had an open area for incoming and outgoing art, a few desks with computers, boxes scattered throughout and some filing cabinets. Lane stood on the ledge of the large roll-up garage door that enabled some of the bigger pieces to be transported directly from the back of moving trucks.

"I don't mind waiting around. I just have a few more paintings to bring in." She smiled then turned around and hopped off the ledge.

****

Lane sat across from me in the booth. "So, what's going on? Are you seeing someone new?"

"Yeah, his name's Pedro. He's kind of the whole package. But I met him on a dating app so I'm not exactly sure what the parameters are."

"I was hoping you had your gay awakening but I'm here for this. Tell me everything." Lane was adept at holding space and making people feel seen and heard. Her attention to detail and awareness of nuance not only made her a great artist, but a great friend too.

I lost track of time as I recounted the details of our encounters and my thought processes throughout. After a couple of drinks, and some goading from Lane, I divulged what happened in the bathroom. She asked what happened afterwards, and I thought about his arms wrapped around me, lips peppering me with kisses.

He had said, "We look good together, don't you think?" and I agreed. With that he effortlessly switched gears and deescalated the intensity into something soothing and natural. Again, it made me think this could be the beginning of something. The rain had let up a bit by that time, so instead of ordering in we went to a ramen place near where my car was parked. He waited with me as the service provider from AAA retrieved my keys. It was hard to part ways, but he asked me to text him when I got home and he kissed me sweetly before guiding me into my car and closing the door once I was inside. I found myself sighing frequently as I drove home. Already reliving the way he looked at me, the feeling of his touch, the sound of his laughter.