Chapter 5: So?

"So?" His voice was low. "What do you say?"

Falling into that temptation would have made it too easy for him. He knew what he was doing, effortlessly shifting between warm and genial to shamelessly seductive. And this was just how he was in public. The thought of being alone with him made me dizzy. I was a lump of clay on a potter's wheel, ready to be molded and shaped by his eager hands. I fought every dopamine receptor in my body.

Doing my best to play it off, I shifted and sighed, "Have you ever been to MOCA?"

He tilted his head ever so slightly, and closed his eyes. A smile spread across his lips and then he was laughing.

He threw his head back and groaned, "Ay, Dios Mío, Emi." followed by more laughter.

"It's a serious question." I tried to keep a straight face but it was hard around him. His laugh was infectious.

"I'm sure it is." He shifted so his back was against the brick and rubbed a hand over his face. "I might ask for a drag of that."

"Only if you answer." I pulled the cigarette away from his reach.

"Give an old man a minute to catch up." More laughter but it was fading. 

"Old man? I was thinking 'daddy' but if you want to be 'granddaddy' I guess that can work."

The look on his face was priceless. "I don't know what I was expecting but it definitely wasn't this."

"And what's this?" I felt my heart rate pick up in my chest.

"Give me that." He pressed his body against mine for a split second and grabbed the cigarette from my hand.  He retreated to a more comfortable distance, took a drag, then did his best to hold back a cough.

"You took that like a champ."

"You act like I've never smoked before." Almost offended.

"What's this?" I repeated myself.

"All of...this!" He waved his arm in a sweeping gesture while laughing and shaking his head. "Jesus christ."

"You like it." I teased.

He looked at me seriously then said in a bedroom voice "granddaddy does like it."

We both attempted to hold in our laughter but failed miserably.

There was an air of levity.

Maybe it was the substances, maybe it was time, maybe it was a careful balance of letting go of control and then taking it back. I found myself missing him already despite still being in his presence. I had the thought that he felt the same when he gave me a soft look.

He dropped the cigarette and gently pulled me away from the wall and into his arms. I let myself enjoy the feeling. We didn't say anything else as he held me.

✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺✺

:)

SMOKING IS SO BAD FOR YOU BUT HES SO HOT I CANNOT