Chapter 10: Oh Baby

The car doors slammed behind us. Out of breath, freezing cold, dripping water everywhere, my outfit was soaked and a little see-through, and my keys were locked in my car, yet...this was the most fun I'd had in a long time. Pedro's clothes looked the same as mine and I enjoyed watching his muscles move as he started the car and turned the heater on high.

A hint of fear arose, a personal indication that the amount of oxytocin in my brain was reaching a threatening level. Everything in me wanted a daily dose of Pedro but I also knew that implied a degree of seriousness and commitment that I wasn't prepared for. This was only our second date. I needed to get ahold of myself.

He turned to me and let out a hearty, raspy laugh. His joy was easily transferable, and it brought me back to the present moment. I found myself laughing too. I felt like a soft drink that was shaken upside down: fizzing and bubbling and ready to explode.

"That was kind of fun." His chuckling subsided and he gazed at me with a boastful smile.

"What's that look for?" I had an idea why, but I wanted to hear it from him.

"And it was kind of romantic." While there was a degree of smugness when he spoke, he wasn't arrogant. His natural warmth revealed the playful excitement underlying his statement and I wanted to kiss him again. And again. And again.

"Mm, actually it was kind of cliche." I countered, but my words were incongruent with my actions. This seemed to happen when I was around him. I maintained eye contact until my gaze drifted to his lips. A knowing smile formed on his face shortly after. I felt exposed and powerless to my desire but I couldn't help myself. My will to be in control was weak after that kiss.

"I didn't plan on kissing you in the rain. You're just so cute when you're flustered." He almost whispered, leaning slightly over the center console. As if we weren't already close enough.

I swallowed, "Yeah, well, I'm sure looking at art was a great primer for the cocktail of hormones in your brain." I successfully responded without losing my breath.

"Give yourself some credit, would you?" His brows furrowed but he still had a slight smirk on his lips. I couldn't look away, no matter how hard I tried I wanted to live in this feeling. It was almost (almost) better than the kiss. The seconds before that are electric, alive, where the chemistry is palpable and the tension is so strong it could support a bridge.

If that first kiss was any indication of his sensuality, my imagination quickly took me to the backseat of his car to play out my idea of a passionate embrace. I willed myself to think about how I would feel if I gave in this early: empty and insecure. So, instead, I took a deep breath, not wanting to get too caught up in the rush of endorphins.

"Anyways, what are we doing? Shouldn't I call AAA or something?" I sat back in the chair, appreciating the warm current coming from the dashboard vents. Unbothered by my retreat, he did the same and went to check his phone.

"You want to wait in this rain? It's not supposed to stop for a few hours. Even if we went to a restaurant to pass the time we're still soaking."

I tried to think carefully about the decision I was supposed to make. Pedro put his phone down and reached over to grab my hand, delicately playing with my fingers. It was hard to focus but I didn't stop him.

"Alright, I'm going to suggest something, but don't take it the wrong way."

"I can't make any promises."

After a sigh he began, "We could go back to my place and-"

"Pedro, what kind of girl do you think I am?" I teased, playing at being cross with him.