Chapter One

Picture is Parker Davis

Authors note:
If you're new to this story hi!! I just wanted to warn you that I wrote this story in middle school so the plot isn't very well developed, but I hope you enjoy nonetheless.

My dad arrived with a large grin before embracing me, asking how school was. My mom had smiling eyes as she entered the dinning room, still in her work dress. We all held hands as we said grace. We talked like a family. Love was in the air.

Then it all burned. The pretty picture of the happy family disintegrated into ash until there was nothing.

Sweating, I jerked awake from the dream that just took place and sighed before lazily running a hand over my face. I was back in reality, the reality where none of that happy bullshit happens. The grey and gloomy reality.

A loud groan emitted from me as I rolled out of the comfort of my bed and let my feet touch the soft carpet. After I selected my outfit and hurriedly did my makeup, I rushed downstairs.

"Morning," I stated coldly to my father, quietly attempting to leave the house.

"Get your ass back in here," he mumbled from the chair resided on. He inspected me before twirling some of my hair with his finger. "Come straight home after school. I'm feeling very frustrated." When he felt frustrated that meant he wanted to touch me in ways fathers should not touch their daughters.

A single tear shed as I ran out and took deep breaths to calm myself. He does much worse all the time, don't get worked up. As I entered the double doors of Cadence High School, I tried my best to avoid eye contact with everyone.

"Look who it is," a voice snickered from behind me, "little emo freak." I knew the voice belonged to the one and only Lily Thomas, the popular stereotypical bitch at my school.

I continued to walk and pretended I didn't hear her rude comments, however some of her group members jumped ahead of me.

"Hey, I'm Parker!" one of the girls shouted holding a pen to her wrist and slid it up and down, imitating cutting.

"Get the hell out of my way," I huffed pushing past the girls with fake tans and hair extensions.

As I was making my way to English class a poster on the senior bulletin board came into view. It read: R.I.P Kellin James 1998-2015. Special assembly held on November 18th, 2015 in remembrance. I instantly tore the brightly colored sheet down and threw it to the ground.

The people on the announcement committee knew nothing of Kellin, no one truly knew him the way I did. Kellin had been my best friend since second grade. One day he had enough of being taunted and took his dad's pistol. His parents found him when they arrived and called the paramedics, but it was too late. I feel like it's my fault for his death, I didn't notice the signs well enough.

I raced down the hall, barely making it to homeroom on time. Lily and her group scoffed at me as I took my usual seat in the back. I ripped out my earbuds out of my backpack and put them on, drowning every sound the world had to offer me.

The rest of my morning periods dragged on until it was finally lunch. I pulled my bag close to me as I attempted to find a table. I ended up sitting at the mute kids table. Hey, at least they won't talk to me. I pulled my notebook out and began working on a sketch I started last night.

A girl I knew as Skylar came to sit beside me. She was pretty popular, so heads were spinning when she sat next to me.

"That's really good," she smiled at my simple drawing of a girl in a field.

I seemed to be at a loss for words. Skylar Bradford was actually talking to me. "Erm thank you," was all I could force out.

"No problem, I'm Skylar by the way."

I rose my hand to shake hers, my stomach churning. Was this the part where Lily's group came and dumped their lunches on me? "I'm Parker."

Maybe things would change for the better this year. But then again this is reality.

Authors note: hope you guys enjoyed the first chapter, please leave any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks guys!!