Chapter Ten

I heavily sighed as I came to the gates of my own personal hell. School. Memories of this strange weekend flooded my mind and my shaky legs were dragged on by Skylar. I pushed my sleeves further down my arm. Luckily it was October so wearing hoodies was acceptable. Not that I really cared what was acceptable or not. Jason probably was never going to talk to me again, so I returned to cutting my arm. It brought much more pleasure.

My day seemed to be going smoothly until 5th period rolled around, my music class. I slowly made my way to the music room, no longer wanting to be the first in there. The bell rang as I took my seat in a corner in the back. Perfect timing.

Jason, er, Mr. Edward's eyes scanned the classroom. His stare lingered for a moment too long before he tore his gaze away.

Alec came to join my side and we began to work on our song. The assignment had changed from writing our own songs to covering one that held meaning to us. Too many students had complained it was too hard to write a song. I personally enjoyed song writing, but covering a song would be just as good.

"Can you even play anything besides girls?" I questioned.

Alec chuckled and put a hand to his heart. "Ouch. That hurt," he dramatically fell into a seat.

I rolled my eyes and looked back at the computer to search for our song. "Do you like Coldplay?"

He looked at me as if I had two heads. "Who doesn't like Coldplay?"

I almost smiled. Alec had never been so...friendly to me, or anyone else for that matter. "I was thinking we cover their song Scientist. Do you know how to play guitar?"

He nodded eagerly. "I love that song, and yes I can play guitar."

"Then it's settled. When do you want to practice?"

"Meet me here after school. I'll get us a pass to stay."

He received the pass from Mr. Edwards before shooting me a thumbs up. The bell rang and I was quick to run out of the classroom. I could feel Jason's stare on me for a majority of the period, and it made me feel so small.

Skylar met me at my locker to walk to lunch with me. She seemed...different over these past few days. Even more of a reason for me to keep my guard up. Jason was the only person, aside from Kellin of course, that I let my guard down with. Now that Jason hated me there was no reason for it to be down.

We sat down on a bench in the courtyard and Skylar began to stare off into space. I followed her gaze to see Ryan and his posse of dick heads. Skylar and Ryan seemed to be having a silent conversation, and neither noticed my state. I didn't know they were friends.

"Aren't you going to eat something?" She asked. I whipped my head up to see no trace of Ryan.

I shook my head no and continued to play with the hem of my shirt, staring at the table. "You hardly ever eat."

Gee thanks I had no idea. It's not like I have any idea of what enters my body or anything. Instead of giving her my sarcastic comeback, I simply shrugged. I couldn't get the exchange between Skylar and Ryan out of my head. They definitely knew each other. But I told her some of the horrible things he's done to me, why would she willingly be friends with someone like Ryan?

"Don't wait up for me after school by the way. I have to practice with Alec."

"Oh so she speaks," Skylar joked. "Have fun, but be careful around Alec. He's bad news."

I nodded before waving as she went to her next class. I decided to go to the library for my free period to get some homework done. After about twenty minutes I finished the little homework I had, so I went to search for a new book.

I used to love reading, but of course my father put a stop to that. Once I brought home a book from the library, and when my father saw it he went ballistic. It was a whole fiasco, which resulted in him burning the book. 

My breath hitched in my throat when I saw Jason sitting in a corner reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. I never knew he was a reader. I began scanning the shelves, not looking for anything in particular.

Jason's throat cleared, asking me to move so he could exit. "You don't have to leave because I'm here."

"I don't want anyone to think I'm chasing around teenage girls," he bit out, throwing my words right back in my face. He used my state of shock to his advantage, pushing past me to leave.

...

I stood outside Mr. Edwards's classroom willing myself to knock, but I just couldn't.

"What's wrong, you scared of the big bad teacher?" Alec laughed as he pushed the door open. Mr. Edwards was in the supply closet, so my breathing regulated a bit.

I picked up a guitar and tuned it correctly before taking a seat on a nearby stool. My face turned beet red as Mr. Edwards sat at his desk and watched us. He has heard me sing once before, but my heart was rapidly racing. Alec gave me a nod and we both began strumming.

Came up to meet you
Tell you I'm sorry...

Singing with with Alec felt good, not to mention his amazing voice. A slow clap sounded from the front of the room coming from Mr. Edwards.

"Damn you have a voice," Alec complimented, something he never did, causing me to blush.

"You have an amazing voice as well. I'd consider doing this more often if you weren't such an unbelievable asshole."

"I told you I like them feisty sweetheart," he chuckled, moving the hair from my eyes.

I scoffed and shoved his hand off me. "If you ever want to have children I suggest you never touch me again," I growled, narrowing my eyes on him. He raised an eyebrow and laughed before putting his guitar back on the stand.

"I would love to sit here and watch you two flirt, but I've got better stuff to do," Jason called us, opening the door. He refused to look at me, and it hurt. This hurt more than when my father hit me, which took me by surprise.

"You have a big date Mr. E?" Alec joked as his put his bag on his shoulder.

Jason kept his eyes fixed on the door. "What I do in my personal life does not concern you Mr. Wood." So he did have a date? A pang of jealousy washed over me. We never dated anyway why should I care? The scary part was I did care.

So Jason is mad at Parker, but he has his reasons. We start to see another side of Alec in this chapter as well. Parker also starts to see a connection between Ryan and Skylar. But what is that connection?