Chapter Twenty Nine

picture is Jason

Jason's pov

My hands gently played with Parker's hair as she slept. It had been a few days since she came home, and I haven't slept since. I was afraid that if I took my eyes off her she would be gone again. She insisted on returning to school tomorrow, though I was completely against it. She just endured a trauma and I know she hadn't dealt with it yet. School was the last thing she needed right now, however she wished to graduate that year.

I opened my eyes, being blinded by the sun that was pouring through the blinds. I hadn't remembered falling asleep, but I suppose my body shut down after no sleep for four days. When I reached over for Parker she wasn't there and my heart stopped beating in my chest. A few moments later the sink in our bathroom turned on and I felt myself start to breathe again. Only then did I realize tears were streaming down my face.

"Jason?" she asked as she submerged from the bathroom. I quickly wiped my face and turned to her. "Baby, why were you crying?" Parker asked worriedly, jumping over to me.

"I reached over for you a-and you weren't there. I thought I-I lost you again." I fumbled with my words as I felt my throat begin to close again and a tear fall down my cheek.

"Hey, look at me," she said as she wiped my eye and cupped my face, "you're never going to lose me."

I let out a sigh of relief before connecting our lips, instantly calming myself. "Are you sure you want to go to school today?" I asked yet again

"Yes Jason, I can't miss any more school. I refuse to stay in that shit hole any longer than I have to," she sighed as she hopped off the bed and shoved a shirt over her.

"I know babe, it just worries me."

"I'll be fine, I promise," she reassured me, pecking my lips.

I hesitantly drove us to school, attempting to convince her to let me take her back home. She wouldn't budge though and quickly exited my car when we arrived. Sighing, I drove to the teacher's lot before entering the school.

I gasped as I entered my classroom, as Mrs. Noel was sitting at a desk. "Good morning Mr. Edwards."

"Morning," I said a little uneasy.

"There was an article in the newspaper about Parker Davis being rescued by the police, thank god, however there was a little piece of information that raised some attention with myself in the school board," she explained.

My heart felt like it was about to beat out of my chest. "What might that be?" I gulped.

"That Jason Edwards was on the scene and claimed that he was a family friend and that Miss Davis had been staying with him for quite some time."

"Uh yes, that's correct."

"And you see nothing wrong with this situation?" she question, raising a brow.

I began to sweat as she narrowed her eyes at me, and I knew I was in for a load of trouble. "She confided in me about the abuse she received from her father, I live just down the street so I offered her a place to stay."

"Very noble of you Mr. Edwards, but why did it never occur to you that you should report this incident?"

"Well I tried, but Parker asked me not to. She was afraid of what her father might do to her."

Mrs. Noel heaved out a long sigh before saying, "Well you have created quite a mess for me now, Jason. The police will be here soon to take yours and Miss Parker's statements, and you are no longer able to teach at this high school."

"Wait no, Mrs. Noel, please I was only trying to help Miss Davis," I pleaded.

She shook her head as she rose from the desk and headed for the door. "You make me sick, taking advantage of that poor girl in the state that she's in."

Grabbing my hair, I fell into my office chair as Mrs. Noel exited my room. Funny enough, I wasn't even worried about being arrested. I just didn't want to leave Parker all alone.

authors note: sorry I took like a year to update, I'll try not to be so long with the rest of the book. Hope you enjoyed!