Chapter Eight

"Hey, why are you so late?" Skylar asked as I ran to her car.

"Sorry, Mr. Edwards needed to talk to me about something."

Her gaze traveled to the guitar clutched in my right hand. "And give you a guitar?"

"Yeah...he knew my other one was broken so he loaned me this one for a little."

She gave a disapproving look, but dropped subject. "I was going to grab food on our way home, do you like Chinese?"

"Love it," I smiled.

After stopping at a local Chinese restaurant, we headed to the super marker to buy other necessities.

"So what is going on between you and Mr. Edwards?" Skylar questioned. After shooting her a confused look she elaborated, "I mean you seem so comfortable with him, and some girls get pretty jealous when he looks at you in class."

"He does not look at me in class, and he's been helping me with certain things."

"And he's sexy as hell. I mean come on he's like a sex god or something!" she smirked.

"Alright he definitely isn't hard to look at him," I admitted.

"Glad I'm not an eyesore, otherwise my class would be torturous," a husky voice said behind us.

I gasped when I turned to see Jason with a cart full of items. "J-Mr. Edwards what are you doing here?" I shrieked.

"Uh well this is the supermarket and your standing in front of the orange juice."

I blushed furiously, something I was not accustomed to, and pulled Skylar out of the way.

"See you girls tomorrow," he waved before slyly shooting me a wink.

Skylar squealed and continuously tapped my shoulder. "He's so into you!"

"Too bad I'm seventeen," I responded cooly as I lead her to the checkout line.

I took a glance at the checkout aisle next to ours and saw Jason raking his eyes up and down my body. I bit my lip and pushed a strand of my hair behind my ear before Skylar pulled me out of his view.

"This is going to be like a never ending sleepover!" It astounded me that I had quickly befriended a girl like Skylar. She wasn't the top of the food chain at school, but she was well liked by most. I was never one to talk much, however she made me feel like I could open up to her. While I was getting comfortable with her, I still kept my guard up.

"So why is your dad never around, if you don't mind me asking," I wondered as we set our groceries on the table.

"After my mom died a few years ago, my father had to find a better job to support me. I would have never let him done it if I knew work would become his first priority," she sighed, gazing at the ground with a longing look.

I pulled her into a side hug after dropping my duffel bag. "If it makes you feel any better I'm seriously lacking in the good parent department as well."

"Is that why you're here?" she questioned.

"Yeah my mom left to be with some band dude, and my dad and I don't exactly have a healthy loving relationship." I almost gasped as I said this aloud. My home life really wasn't her business, even if she was letting me stay with her.

"Is that why you come to school with bruises?" she asked, but her eyes grew wide with realization. "I am so sorry, I didn't think before speaking.

"It's fine, I do that a lot too." Please change the subject, please change the subject.

"So are you interested in any boys besides our music teacher?" she giggled. Thank you.

"I'm not interested in Mr. Edwards. And no, all the boys at our school are assholes."

Skylar laughed. "I'll have to agree with you on that one."

Skylar

I woke to the sound of my phone buzzing, and saw it was Ryan. After glancing at a sleeping Parker, I quietly exited the room.

"What the hell do you want at four in the morning?" I answered.

"Well hello to you too," he darkly chuckled.

I sighed, not having time for anymore of his games. "If this another one of your stupid assignments, I'm out."

"No sweetheart, you agreed this this. There is no 'getting out' of this business."

"Parker is actually a really nice girl, why you want to ruin her life is beyond me."

"I have my reasons. Now if you don't your little reputation to go down the drain, I suggest you keep gaining Parker's trust," Ryan growled before cutting the line dead.

I let a heavy sigh before trudging up the stairs to my room.

Sorry for the semi short chapter. But now we know Skylar and Ryan are working together on something shady. What are they working on? Read on to find out ;)