Chapter Three

Picture is Jason Edwards

I excitedly made my way to music a tad early, hoping to talk with Mrs. Stein for a moment. She had been there for me when Kellin passed, and I never officially thanked her for that.

Instead of Mrs. Stein, a young and rather attractive man sat behind her wooden desk. He looked up at me and smiled a bit before averting his attention back to some papers.

"Alright class, please take your seats. Now you may have noticed that I am not Mrs. Stein," the young man greeted, gaining laughs from the students. "I'm Jason Edwards, but that's Mr. Edwards to you. Mrs. Stein had to take a leave of absence for the remainder of the year due to family issues, so I'll be your permanent sub. Looks like you're stuck with me." I'm sure the general female population would not have a problem being stuck with him.

He seemed to be in his early twenties, and was a tall man. I listened to him talk about some assignment we had to do, and closed my eyes.

I was shaken awake by a pair of strong hands, and met the eyes of Alec Wood.

"What the hell do you want?" I questioned with raised brows.

"Damn chill, we're partners for this assignment. You would know that if you weren't sleeping," he shot back. Memories of him and his group of smoking skater asshole friends bullying me flooded my mind, and I turned away from him.

"There is no way in hell I'm working with you," I huffed.

"Stop being a bitch and get some paper out. We have to write a song and preform it next month."

"How about we write a song based on how much of an asshole you are?" I bit out.

"Can we please take this seriously? If I get another bad grade in a class this year my parents are going to take my stuff away."

"What they should really take is your weed, but I'm sure your parents don't see past your perfect poster boy act."

"What the fuck did I ever do to you?"

"You're kidding right? Just last week you and your idiot friends shoved me into the boys bathroom and started feeling me up, while you flicked your cigarette ashes on my arm as if I were an ashtray."

"Oh come on, it was a joke."

"Yeah some joke. I'm bursting at the seams with laughter."

"I know you think everything is about you because your friend killed himself, but I've got a news for you sweetheart: No one cares."

"I am well aware that no one cares," I whispered before jotting some of my ideas down. The bell sounded and I raced out of the room, no longer able to deal with Alec the asshole.

...

Everyone joined their cliques to eat lunch, while I sat under a large oak tree in the front of the school that Kellin and I claimed ours.

"I miss you Kellin, nothing is the same. I feel so lonely and I'm so tired of this bullshit. Damn it Kellin why did you leave? I know things were bad, but you had me!" Tears were now streaming down my face. I just couldn't help it at this point. Kellin was all I had, and then suddenly he was ripped away from the world.

"Miss Davis the lunch period has ended," Mr. Edwards said, walking toward the tree.

"I have free period, I think I'll just sit here."

"Well, lucky for you I have a free period also," he said before sitting next to me.

"You really don't have to sit with me."

"It looks like you need a friend right now."

"Well you're my teacher, so I don't need you to be my friend."

"Look, some teachers mentioned how you were the friend of the young man that committed suicide. I want you to know you can talk to me whenever you want." I could feel his eyes staring into the side of my head, almost begging me to meet his gaze.

My face softened at his kind words, but someone probably forced him to come out and say that. "Thanks Mr. Edwards, but I don't want your pity and shit."

"Language Miss Davis, and I'm not pitying you. Just looked like you needed to talk," he shrugged before standing up and headed back to the building.

"Wait!" I shouted, stopping him in his tracks. He turned around to face me once again, a smirk dancing on his full lips. For some odd reason I had the urge to run up to him and kiss the smirk right off his handsome face. I couldn't though, he's my teacher. And I just met the guy. I quickly averted my eyes to the ground before he noticed my stare. "I-I just mean, um, thank you. No one has been so nice to me in a long time."

He shot me a half smile that nearly melted my insides. "Come on, we better head back inside." Mr. Edwards extended his hand, which I gladly took, and he pulled me off the ground.

Tingles still shot through the area Mr. Edwards touched as we went our separate ways.