{Chapter 4}

Eden

Around this time of day, most people are in classes which provides me the opportunity to take my time adjusting to my new surroundings. The wooden chest provided most of the necessities needed to get a foothold here. Robes, uniforms, and some blankets used in our old stomping grounds lay peacefully unbothered in the chest, all courtesy of Fig.

I grab the uniform and robe with a heave. I'm grateful to see a pair of pants and a women's top at the bottom of the chest that would provide more comfort than the demeaning short skirts the school provides. I dash into the large bathroom locking the door immediately. Who knows what will happen after my brief interaction with Imelda. I toss a few of my toiletries on the counter before scrubbing my face graciously with soap and water. I release my hair from its braid. the strain of its tightness slowly melts away. It falls in long locks towards my lower back. The sweet smell of coconut shampoo fades rapidly. With zero hesitation I slip off the old uniform, making sure to turn the shower dials to the warmest setting. 

A glimpse of my back in the mirror pulls me out of my reverie. Interlacing scars line my back in abrupt patterns. The skin once soft and gentle is now rough and unrecognizable. Swirls of black ink cover most of the scars showcasing the image of a dragon traveling up my spine. Thoran used to say I would learn to love the scars with time. I'm sure he was trying to reassure himself that his trauma would find peace. He never questioned when I got the tattoo.

Precipitation from the shower clings to my face only pulling me towards the warm stream. Water trickles down my face and onto my body. The events of the past days wash away down the drain. I grab some of the shampoos Fig left with me in the chest. I lather my hair until it no longer feels dirty. Moments passed before I finally pulled myself away from the shower and wrapped my hair tightly above my head. The cool air slaps me harshly, only motivating me that much more to pull on my new uniform.

The black slacks hug my small frame nicely, providing me with the comfort I've needed. The shirt is nothing special. It's a white form-fitting blouse that hugs my chest well enough to push my breasts up. It's more justice than they deserve in my opinion. Small licks of the tattoo peek up around my shoulders. They are small enough that you'd have to be inches away to see them. I loosely put on the green tie, letting my hair fall down in soft brown waves. Finally, I drape on the robe to complete the look. I am finally feeling like the student Fig so desperately wants me to be.

Quickly I nudge open the bathroom door. My items are still sprawled out in the same places on my bed. A quick protection charm in my area will ensure that Imelda, or anyone else who decides to hate me, won't be able to strangle me in my sleep. The clock on the wall reads 6:00 pm. Classes will be ending now. I might have enough time to make it to Hogsmeade to look for a new wand before dinner starts.

I nudge open the door to the main common room spotting Thoran and Ominis in conversation. Both boys exchange smiles. Glad to see Thoran is making friends. Thoran smiles when he sees me, motioning for me to come over. He slightly shifts, giving way to another boy in their conversation. He's not Slytherin. He's Ravenclaw based on his blue ensemble. His olive complexion compliments his white blonde hair. His eyes are light green, with a hint of blue.

"So this is Eden?" The boy questions. A smile lines his face. It's genuine, unlike Sebastian.

"My one and only sister," Thoran says, adjusting my collar to hide my tattoo a little more. Regardless of how much we bicker, his love does shine through.

"Trevor Collins." the boy says, extending his hand out.

"Eden Pierce," I say, grasping his hand firmly. I offer him the first genuine smile I have had in a while.