{Chapter 59}

Sebastian

The morning sun greets us in soft waves, shoving their way past the thin lace curtains of the guest quarters. I yawn, opening my eyes to the sight of Althea sprawled across my chest. She looks heavenly, her red hair covering her face in curly spirals. Carefully I move a few of her stray pieces, letting my fingers trail across her cheeks as I take in the sight of her. Her lips are full, her body a masterpiece even in my shirt. I am in awe of her beauty, inside and out. She has a gentle smile, her curiosity, and love for the world around her absolutely admirable. In every way possible she is a perfect blessing. She loves with all she has and gives whatever she can without expecting anything in return.

My eyes move up to the outfits from the boxes, both of ours sit sprawled out on the chairs in the room. I scrunch my nose at the sight of them, feeling disgusted knowing that tonight is the night we have to face all of our demons. It's relieving in many ways to know that all of this, all of our pain, and all of our suffering can finally come to meet its end. Carefully I lift up Althea's head, allowing myself to move away from her in a few gentle motions. She barely stirs, only really moving once before grumbling back to sleep. Rubbing my face I move toward the door, letting it creak open on its hinges as I peek outside.

Rowan stands by a nearby window, his hands deep in his pockets as he takes in the world outside. He looks very distant, his mind is clearly deep in thought. I feel myself gravitate towards him, trying my best to stay quiet so that I do not disrupt his peace in any way. He has always been the stoic type trying his best to support a crumbling world on his shoulders.

"Didn't sleep much last night?" I question, taking into account his darkened eyes as I stand next to him.

He looks over to me, letting his mouth drop into a frown at the statement.

"Is it that obvious?" he questions, rubbing his face once as he drags his psalm over his eyes.

"Maybe you should rest today until the ball. It's not until later-" I begin.

"No, I need to stay awake and alert. Eden disclosed to me that Jace paid her a visit right next door to us last night. She tried telling me he stopped her from hurting herself, although I'm not too sure how much of that I believe. I doubt he has any good intentions." Rowan says, crossing his arms as he draws in a large breath.

Rowan sways on his feet, his movements overall less alert than what I am used to. I wave my hand in front of his face, seeing him flinch seconds after his normal reaction speed.

"You need sleep to be alert," I clarify, watching as Eden pokes her head outside the guest room door to watch us. She looks distraught at the sight of Rowan's swaying figure.

"I will sleep when I'm dead," Rowan mutters.

I watch Eden move closer, eyeing Rowan with a sideways glance. She acknowledges the issue with a small nod, letting her hand travel to Rowan's front as she wraps her arms around him.

"Get some sleep Row," She mutters. His gaze immediately softens, his hands already on hers as he turns to face her. In an instant his face lights up, pulling any remaining energy he has into his face as he looks at her.

"I can watch her," I say, resting my hand on his shoulder. He looks at me, letting his head drop down to kiss her.

"Just a few hours okay?" Rowan asks her. Quietly she nods in agreement.

With one more kiss, he backs away from us, giving her one last smile before closing their door behind him. Eden's eyes move to me, her arms crossed as she draws in a deep breath.

"Want to go on a walk?" She questions, watching me with curiosity.

****

Eden