{Chapter 33}

Eden

It has been days since my father's letter reached us all. Days of nonstop training. Days of continuing this lie. The forest outside Althea's cabin is peaceful despite the events that brought us here. The pines silently rattle, their branches covered in a light layer of frost. A gift from the night. A small deer makes its way through the forest, silently foraging for loose berries and grass. Such simple things make the deer happy. It never has to worry about blood oaths, and a vindictive father waiting to murder it at any given moment.

"Hey." Althea's calm voice states. She pushes pash a few branches, looking at my seated position on an older bench a good few feet into the forest.

"Hey." I calmly state, scooting over on the bench to allow her some room.

"Already tired of training?" She questions. She sets herself down, taking a seat with a grunt.

"I can't say I enjoy draining myself trying to deflect all of Rowan's attacks." I let out, recalling his precision and accuracy when it came to combat.

"I think your dad mourned the loss of his combat skills more than the loss of his wife some days. He's ruthless." She lets out, grabbing a small piece of pine, her finger fidgeting with the green strands.

"How am I supposed to stand a chance against my dad if I can barely stop Rowan without needing a break." I let out, a smile creeps across her face.

"I dont expect you to fully remember this part of yourself, but you and your brother are no strangers to your magic. Your father admired you two when you worked under him. Your ability to wield magic with no wand, and with such precision was brilliant." She says.

Sadly that ability I need is still locked away, along with many of my other memories revolving around myself.

"Is your favorite color still green?" Althea questions, breaking my chain of thought.

"Yes, and yours.... It changes right?" I question, trying to recall my memories of her.

"Like no other. I've made it my goal to fixate on a new one every year until I've exhausted all of my possibilities ." She states, smiling at me with a large grin.

She turns to face the forest, listening to its calming silence with closed eyes.

"We plan to make a trip to Hogwarts tomorrow. The boys are all packing now." Althea says after a few moments of silence, her eyes landing back on mine.

"Someone sent an owl to that Professor Fig. He's been worried to death about you and your brother." Althea clarifies, my heart pinging with guilt for my lack of communication with him.

"What did you tell him?" I question.

"Only the bare minimum. Thoran didnt want to reveal too much in a letter. He told him we needed to speak to the headmaster in regards to our revelation about your father." She lets out, a small sigh my only response.

"Do you still wash your hands three times before you brew a potion for good luck?" I question, her smile slowly returning.

"Of course, Rowan thinks it's a fixation." She says, her hands stained from all the different materials she works with.

I feel my head instinctively lean down on her shoulder. Her reaction is to lean hers on top of mine. I'm not sure how long we sat like this in silence. I just know it was the most peace I had felt in a long time.

****

"You want us to blend in with the crowd?" Althea questions, staring at the student robes the boys had acquired from Hogsmeade. All things considered, the two boys are trying to "get along" even though I know deep down Rowan wants to strangle him. That's probably why he asked Thoran and Ominis to tag along too.