{Chapter 34}

Rowan

Small reflections of light dance across my eyes. Each small wave of a branch outside Althea's study casts multiple shadows across the cold wooden floors. I feel my arm shift, the warm feeling of another presence pressed against my chest suddenly motivating me to fully open my eyes. She's fast asleep against me, her head tucked peacefully into me, with her leg sprawled across my lower stomach. My hand is on her upper thigh, my other on her side keeping her close to me. After Althea and Sebastian's bender, she decided staying with me for the night was all she wanted to do.

Ominis and Thoran received a brief explanation of what was going on. I think if Thoran received any more unplanned news he would have a nerve rupture in his brain. I look down at her, her lips slightly parted as her hair wildly rests around her, some strands falling into her face. Her hand rests on my chest, the same place she had it last night before she decided to let sleep claim her. I don't think I can remember the last time I had truly been at peace. Probably when I had her in my arms like this last.

I brush the stray hairs away from her face, letting my thumb trail over her mouth and up the side of her face, rubbing small circles along her hairline before dipping back down her side. I let my fingertips graze across her thigh, her shirt nearly fully ridden up, exposing most of her torso to me. I look at her scars, each one a painful reminder of why we can't just run away from all of this. Each scar is from my own moments of weakness. It's a reminder of when my strength faltered the most. She's a beautiful mosaic, made up of multiple intricate and stunning parts. I let my hand rest on her stomach, small licks of her tattoo peeking out on her side. I move my hand  up letting it finally rest on her hip as she shifts.

"My dove" I whisper under my breath, letting my head dip down to place a gentle kiss against her forehead, a risk I know I should not be taking. I savor the feeling of being close to her, everything inside of me wants all of her all the time. Her hand slightly jolts, moving up my chest more, her fingertips coming in contact with the rings.

"Rowan?" She questions sleepily, a small yawn leaving her as she slowly blinks up at me.

"Mhm?" I hum, letting my fingers run through her hair, a smile leaving me the longer I see her on me.

"Was I snoring?" she questions, pressing her hand lightly to her mouth as she pulls herself farther up on my chest.

"Yes, terribly actually," I let out, her face dropping down with a frown almost immediately.

I smile at her, her sleep-hazed state finally picking up on the joke.

"Youre the worst." She says with s smile, pulling herself up to a straddling position on me.

I take a mental picture of how beautiful she looks at this moment. Messy hair, a sleepy grin, her shirt a jumbled mess, riding up to show me every part of her that deserves my attention. I feel myself grabbing the sides of her hips, pulling myself up into a seated position as she wraps her arms around my neck. I let myself pull her into me, my thumbs resting on her lips as I press my lips to hers, my thumbs a barrier from her. She leans into it, letting her forehead press mine as she pushes me back down into the soft pillows. I travel my hands travel down from her thighs, grabbing her ass as I push her closer to me. Her rushed breathing only makes me want her more.

"It seems almost delusional now that my mind allowed me to forget how good moments like these were." She lets out in a quick breath, her hands intertwined with my hair as she lets her lips move away from my face. She slowly kisses my collarbone, leaving a small trail of kisses down my chest, my hand holding the side of her face as she looks up at me.

"Imagine how pained I was to remember what I couldn't have," I say, her beautiful smile lighting up the room as she stops at my lower hips, her eyes on my growing presence.