{Chapter 15}

*Three weeks Later*

Eden

I never imagined life would feel like something worth fighting for. In all my years I had always thought that life was something I had to endure. Day after day, I just tried to find a way to cope with my existence. Now that I know what I lost, each day is an opportunity to truly live life, to protect it.

After my father's first letter, he went silent. I have been counting down the days until we reach the first month since he threatened all of us. Each time I go to sleep, I convince myself It will be a better night. Each night I wake up screaming from the dreams. Dreams of everyone around me dying because of him. Sebastian has given up trying to sleep a whole night, more often than not I catch him already waiting outside the door of the girl's quarters, ready to stay up with me for however long I need it. Slowly, many of his memories, large and small all came to him, his personality only growing with each reminder of his past.

After I threatened to hand myself over to my father, Fig checked our old manner, scouring the grounds with Thoran for any sign as to how my father survived the night. More dead ends seemed to be the only answer. Anne's memories began to come back, our next visit to Feldcroft a little more heartfelt with the realization of who we really were finally out and in the open. I can tell she was a little hurt to see Ominis and Thoran so close now, I think in some ways she had always hoped Thoran had a soft spot for her as she did him. Solomon even had some recollection of who we were, his up and down looks to me the first time we met making more sense in light of the fact I don't look too much different than my mother, who I'm sure he saw in passing before.

Sebastian has been keeping busy, trying to focus on Slytherin gaining more points for the house cup, even getting Thoran and Ominis to help petition for Quidditch to return this school year to Hogwarts. Poppy has been around more frequently, often going on about one of the many animals she wants to tend to in the care of magical creatures. Sebastian thought it was good I finally started socializing beyond my friend group, that is until Garreth Weasley from Gryffindor winked while complimenting my green eyes right in front of Sebastian. I had to nearly break Sebastian's hand to stop him from punching Garrith. A few ginger jokes helped ease the tension enough for him to let it go.

Three weeks of utter bliss. Three weeks nurturing a life that should have always been ours. I think Thoran fears what lengths I will go to, to make sure they get to keep their freedom. He sees it in fleeting moments when someone mentions my father's name, my hate, and anger threatening to spill out. Explosive and out of control is what my father expects me to do. It's all part of his game.

***

I yank on one of Sebastian's sweaters, letting its soft material gather me in a warm hug. The changing leaves scatter the grounds, pumpkins, and decorations all over Hogwarts to celebrate the upcoming festivities. Ominis had mentioned some people coming into Hogsmeade to sing, saying the town is fully prepared to celebrate Halloween for weeks on end with multiple social events being hosted. It has been a while since any of us had left the castle and given Anne's improving state, Sebastain has had no reason to bury himself in study. His smile never seems to leave his face these days, same with Thoran.

A few were off put by Thoran and Ominis's growing relationship, trying to accuse them both of breaking rules by sharing the same sleeping quarters. Clearly, Thoran is not the type to bed Ominis right in front of everyone, but the stigmatism revolving around two wizards being exclusive is still there. Imelda and Travis thought it was a good idea to involve themselves in some less-than-pleasant comments about Ominis. Coincidentally they both ended up getting tied up on the quidditch court in their night ware the same night Sebastain and I decided to sneak out of the castle. Thoran never pressed me on why that seemed to coordinate. His smirk of appreciation was enough to gauge how he felt about it.