{Chapter 39}

Eden

We all stand awkwardly in Black's office, his eyes wildly scanning a stack of papers the librarian had brought him when she walked us all to the office. The papers are now blank, providing us no evidence or closure on who Tom is and why my father felt the need to wave him in our faces.

"The library is in chaos because of this stunt," Black says, his eyes meeting every single one of our unamused looks.

"You really are dense aren't you?" Rowan questions, his arms crossed as he moves closer to Black's desk.

"Excuse me?" Black questions. Rowan continues his pace forward.

I feel ready to get up. Thoran's hands are quick to hold my shoulders, keeping me seated in the chair I had found myself in.

"We came here asking for clarification on who Tom Riddle might be in order to keep your students safe, and all you're worried about is the order of your library?" Rowan questions, Black's throat slowly swallows as Rowan stares at him.

"I dont have any idea who he could be. Even then, you all have no proof of any of your claims. As far as it looked to the librarian you all were standing there with your wands drawn and the library in disarray." Black says, Rowan's head cocking as he looks at him.

Rowan swipes the headmaster's mug off of his desk, shoving him back into his seat as he tries to get up. I see Rowan raise the mug to his nose, flinching away from the mug as he tosses it back on the desk, letting it spill onto the papers.

"I'm not reasoning with a drunk," Rowan says angrily, looking at Black's petrified expression at Rowan's boldness.

Rowan turns to walk away, eyeing Thoran's grasp on my shoulders with a certain distaste.

"I've looked into you Hawthorn," Black utters, standing up as he points to Rowan.

Rowan looks at the headmaster, his arms crossed as Black eyes him down.

"Youre a maniacal little shit who worked under her father for years," He says, pointing to me as I swipe away Thoran's hands, finally pulling to my feet "You have no room to stand here and judge me when all you've done is murder innocent people and walk around as the antichrist's lap dog. All for what? A woman?" Black questions, a feral rage tearing away inside of me.

I move forward past Rowan, Black's eyes darting to me with a look of confusion. I feel my anger consume me, my hand quick to grab his tie, forcing his head down and into the desk. He hits it with a thud, his chair flying back as he sprawls across the floor gripping his head. I look at him, ready to deliver another blow. Rowan's hand grabs my wrist, his eyes looking at me with a calming expression as I take in a few shaky breaths. I turn my head away from him, seeing my reflection look back at me in the puddle of alcohol on Black's desk.

There it is again, those same glowing eyes and the same twisted smile.

"Fuck." I utter, letting myself back away as Black angrily rises back to his feet.

Rowan moves me behind him, letting me grip his sweater as he looks at Black.

"Are you insane?" Black yells, holding his hand onto his head as he scowls at me with anger.

"Dont talk to her that way," Rowan says, pointing his hand at Black, his anger only rising.

"Look at yourself. Absolutely enthralled with a woman who weeks ago was at the feet of the boy behind you ." Black says, my eyes shooting to Sebastain as he widens his eyes.

"Althea, take everyone but Eden out of the room," Rowan says, his tone different than any of the other times I have heard him speak.

I expect Althea to protest, instead, she listens, grabbing Ominis's hand and tugging Sebastain by his tie. Thoran gets ready to argue but quickly is cut off by Ominis grabbing his hand and dragging him along with them. I watch as they shut the door, Altheas smile the last thing I see.