{Chapter 54}

Pierce Manor

The day of the incident

Rowan

She looks at me in bewilderment. I can't think straight, nothing feels right.

"Evelyn!" I yell, keeping my pace toward her. She slowly backs away, her teacup clattering to the ground as she cocks her head at me.

"Is your mother having a nice sleep?" She questions with a smile.

I surge forward, grabbing hold of her dress. She scowls at me, hitting me back with a small spurt of magic. I watch as she straightens up her dress, giving me a look of utter disapproval.

"You ripped one of my favorite dresses-"

I dont allow her to finish. I am up and on my feet, letting my body collide with hers as I slam her into the wall behind her. I focus all my energy on my magic, colliding my fist as hard as I can with her side. She lets out a breath of air in a gasp, readying herself to hit me once more with her magic.

My mother's face flashes in my mind.

No more loving smiles.

I drive my fist into her side again, grabbing her wrist as I slam it into the floor. She loses her concentration on her magic, hissing in pain toward me.

No more smiles as she talks about how big im getting.

I reach for my blade, driving it deep into Evelyn's chest. She wails in pain, clawing at my arms as she tries to get me off of her. I push the knife deeper, letting my tears drip onto her front.

She won't ever meet my kids.

I take out the blade, only to drive it down again.

Everything with her is now gone.

"A life for a life," I hiss, taking the knife and driving it into her heart. Her head rolls back in pain, her hands slowly stopping their clawing at me. I see her lungs stop rising and falling, my face an angry mess as I pull myself to my feet. I hear others approaching, my mind a hazy mess as I reach into my pocket, feeling around for my lighter.

Silently more followers begin to fill the room. One keeps their hood down as they carry a small hooded servant from their quarters. I watch them slip away, offering me a small gaze. I see nothing but blue-brown eyes as they clutch the small figure, taking them out the back way of the manor. Andrew's eyes meet my own as he pushes past the dozens of gaping mouths, his eyes hovering over his dead wife as I hold the lighter over her.

"You shouldn't have killed my mother,' I hiss, watching Andrew's expression pull into a pained one.

I feel my fingers release the lighter, Andrew lunges to grab the flame, my hand already on my wand as I send him backward and into his followers. I watch Evelyn's body go up in flames, my hand instinctively working quicker than my mind as I shove over an oil lamp. It cakes the floor allowing the flames to expand. I watch banners set ablaze, my heels tuning to make a run for it.

"Grab him," Andrew yells, my eyes flashing to the dozens of followers now on my tail. With one swift motion, they hit me over the head, all of my sight hazy before becoming nothing at all.

***

Eden

"Thoran," I yell, allowing myself to roll onto my shoulder. I narrowly avoid Elias's beam of magic, forcing myself back to my feet as I move out from behind the wall. My companions are only a few meters away, their heads shooting up as they take in the sight in front of them.