Chapter One

"You're like an angel,
but with
broken wings"

"This can not be our new house," I say rolling my eyes as I pull into a driveway of a classic Victorian home.

I jump out of my car and double check the number of the house, 908. It's the right house, but it feels too big to be just mine and my mom's. I look around for my mom thinking of her, but I can't seem to find her. I rattle around in my purse looking for the key she gave me before we left North Carolina. Finding it, I put it in the keyhole of the front door and jingle it until the door sways back open.

My jaw drops open as I walk into our foyer. This house must've cost millions, but the problem is mom said she would've sent me to boarding school because of my rebelling after dad's death but said she didn't have the money. She must've secretly wanted to keep me after all. We ended up burying my father here when he died since mom was planning on moving here and sending me to a pristine school that will put me back in order.

I walk up the grand staircase and look down both hallways looking for a room that I would want mine. I ended up going all the way down the right hallway and choosing the corner room. To my surprise, a boy no older than me was standing in my room. I scream in surprise but he doesn't move. He stands there with black holes in his eyes and erupts into laughter while I scream at the top of my lungs. I don't know when I closed my eyes but when I open them the boy is gone.