Chapter Five

By the time lunch came around I was exhausted. I had other encounters with the supernatural in my other classes and now I'm starting to freak. Isaiah sees me enter the lunch room and waves me over. As I sit at Isaiah's table I notice Levi breaks contact with me when I look in his direction. I've realized that Levi and Isaiah aren't great friends.

"Eleanor Halewood, these are my friends and girlfriend," he waves his hand around the table, "this is Avery Tullar, my special girl I was talking about earlier."

"Eleanor! It's great to meet you," Avery shakes my hand firmly and her voice seems to send a message.

"Same for you," I fake a smile back and let go of her hand.

"And then Hailey Marson is a banshee friend of Avery's, and then we have Avery's Nymph friend, Aria Amond," Isaiah points to the two sitting next to Avery and I nod as he talks, "Then on this side of the table are my vampire buddies, Xavier Zacheri, Ryder Noland, and Caleb Dwyer."

I don't want to personally introduce to myself to all of them so I just wave and smile to them real quick.

"So, Hale, what was it you wanted to talk later about?" he mentions remembering my words from earlier today.

"About all this supernatural stuff," I play with my hands as I talk, "how do I know exactly what I am?"

"Well usually when we're born we're raised to know about what we are, but obviously one of your parents wants to keep that hidden from you," he takes a bite of his apple after talking.

"Well my dad's dead so my mom is probably the one keeping it secret," I sigh.

"Your dad's dead? Well then we can rule out lots of possibilities," I can tell he's actually trying to think what I am.

"Okay so that's a good start," I smile, and this time it feels like a real smile.

"Tell you what, Hale, you swing by my place tonight and I'll give you those notes and I'll try to narrow done your species to the top five," he takes out a notebook and writes down his address and gives it to me. 1313 Sanguine Street.

"You live on blood street?" I ask translating the Latin.

"So that's what it translates to? No wonder my parents picked it," he laughs.

The lunch bell rings, telling students it's time to go to next period, "See you tonight," I say getting up to go to sixth period.

•••

Turns out Studies of the World is more like Studies of the Supernatural. That's probably why Levi didn't tell me right away, he wanted me to figure it out on my own. Avery's friend, Aria, ends up sitting next to me. We make small chat for a little and then she tells me,
"Not trying to be rude or anything, just giving you a heads up. Don't make moves like that on Isaiah or Avery will make sure you're dead."

"I wasn't trying to make moves on Isaiah. I just want a couple of friends," I say defending myself.

"I understand that, but trust me, Avery doesn't look at it that way," the bell rings as she finishes her sentence.

•••

"Princess, slow down," I hear Levi's voice behind me as I walk out of the school.

"Yes?" I turn around facing him, "Was there something you wanted to say?"

"Did you figure it out?" he says like it's no big deal.

"Of course I did, Isaiah broke that one for me! And let me just tell you I am so mad at you for not giving me a heads up!" I scream at him.

"I didn't give you a heads up because I knew you were smart enough to figure it out," he fights back.

"Fine, but now you have to answer all my questions. We had a deal," I remember.

"Alright," he pauses, "say, how about I drive you to my place and we can do all the talking there."

"Say, how about no. I already have plans for tonight," I hold my head high.

"With who?" but I think he already knows the answer to that question.

"With Isaiah," I pause, choosing my words carefully, "he invited me over to give me notes and help me figure out my species."

"Princess," he smiles like he knows something, "I can tell you that."

"You know what I am?" I ask happily.

"Not only do I know what you are, I knew your father."

"You knew my father?" I exclaim.

"Which do you want answered first? Your father? Or your species?" he asks.

"Species," I say anxiously.

"You're a Saraph Angel."