Chapter Fourteen

The rest of the night was a blur that I barely remember, but I wake up screaming because I don't recognize where I am until a hand slips over my mouth, "Shh, you don't what them to find us."

I sigh with relief to hear Levi's voice. I automatically realize I'm safe as long as I'm with him. Strands of my hair are blackened from crawling out of the jeep's fire. I still feel guilty that we had to abandon the jeep without calling someone, but there are so many bad possibilities that could've happened if we had to stay and called someone. Memories flash of running through the woods beside Levi. My head pounds with a headache but I decide against saying anything because if I complain then I will become weak and I have to stay strong.

"Food?" I ask realizing I haven't ate anything since lunch yesterday.

"We're going to make a stop at my real house," he sighs, "most likely, my brother won't be there because he's very serious about school."

"How far?" I ask not wanting to walk anymore.

"We can take the bus," he must have known by my words I didn't want to walk and I laugh since I've always refused to riding a bus.

"What's so funny?"

"I've never rode a bus," I admit to him with a crooked smile.

"Then you're in for a treat. Make sure to check out the restroom on it."

"That doesn't sound good," I scrunch my nose.

"Oh trust me. It's not."

•••

When I thought of Levi's house I thought of a small ranch or farm house. I don't know why, but he just seemed like his type. So walking up to a white-bricked mansion made my jaw drop, "You. You live here?"

"You sound shocked," he declares.

"I expected something- I don't know- just not this," I let out a laugh.

"My parents saved up," he shrugs. A thought bounces around in my head about his parents. I never could imagine Levi with parents. There was something off with the picture, but I can't figure out what, so I decide I might as well ask.

"Your parents," I start off, but pause, "they live here with you?" Harmless, I think. Wrong question, is the result.

"No, they died when I was eight," he just shrugs.

"Oh-" I decide against saying anything else, but then again weren't they immortal? "How do immortals die, anyways?"

"If higher authorities say it's alright or if an angel of death does it illegally," he starts walking up to the front door as I trail behind him.

"Who are the higher authorities?"

"Technically the Archangels, but your kind could give permission if it was a serious problem," he unlocks the door and swings it open.

I walk in before he does and my eyes fall on the ceiling. A masterpiece is painted across it, filling it with clouds and Angels, "Not what I expected if I'm being completely honest."

"My parents thought it was clever, I guess," he laughs, "you're starting to smell, princess, go take a shower before I force you into one."

I obey him by walking up the grand staircase and entering the first bathroom I walk past. Everything in the bathroom is made of marble. I feel completely out of place as soon as I enter. Part of me feels unsafe in the place of my enemy, but the other part of me feels safe since I'm also in the place of a friend. A friend, I laugh to myself, Levi is definitely something more to me than a friend. Bile fills my throat just thinking about that. I couldn't believe the thoughts even came up, but then again the feeling of him being gone still haunted me from yesterday, and I don't want to ever feel that loss again.