Chapter Twenty

I cough as the dust and debris settles. I'm looking up at the cloudy sky while rain washes down my face. A flash of lightning erupts from the clouds above me, followed by a rumble of thunder, but I know it wasn't lightning that exploded the house. It had to be a bomb because it totally destroyed the house. I'm too weak to pull myself up from the ground, so instead I scream Isaiah's name, hoping he's alright. I can't lose anyone else, I just can't.

I feel someone grab my shoulders and pull me up, I'm looking at Avery, she has a smirk plastered on her face, she says something I can't hear, but it had to be something rude. Her blonde hair whips across my vision as she turns and backs up. Someone else grabs me from behind. Someone strong, someone male. His scent gives off a pine smell, and right away I know it's Levi holding me. He's the only one in this town that smells like pine.

"Levi," I whisper, my eyes closing.

"It's going to be okay, trust me," he whispers into my ear before I pass out.

•••

I wake up lying down on a cement floor. My wrists and ankles are tied up with rope. My vision blurs, but I blink it away. I look over across the room to see Isaiah tied up the same as me, but he's still unconscious. Hopefully, not dead. A door screeches open and Mr. Asmodeus, Avery, Blake, and Levi walk in.

"Look who's awake, my dearest Eleanor," Mr. Asmodeus smiles.

"Shut up you bastard," I whisper under my breath.

"Now, now, those aren't nice words to say to someone who can kill your mother in a second. Let's try again," his voice mocks me.

"Hello? Is that what you want to hear? Or maybe you should ask me about the weather while we're at it. Go get some coffee, maybe brunch?" I give a sarcastic look.

"You're hopeless. I just want to make sure my prisoners are happy," he looks over at Isaiah, "Avery? Can you make sure that one isn't dead?"

Avery walks over and slaps Isaiah across the face. He blinks awake and is startled by the sudden pain and bites at Avery's hand. A piercing scream erupts in the room, but I can't cover my ears. Everything starts to become hazy and she continues to scream, but then it stops. My ears ring as I watch Blake push Isaiah down to the ground and punch him until his mouth starts to bleed. Avery holds her bitten hand, but I can start to see the black blood oozing from where he bit her. I wonder what happens when a vampire bites a banshee.

Blake ushers Avery out the door and leaves me with Mr. Asmodeus and Levi. They try talking to me, but all I hear is a faint buzzing. I shrug my shoulders at them. They realize Avery's scream has made it hard for me to hear. Levi crouches down in front of me and gives me a worried look.

Can you hear me now? A voice echoes in my head. I jump, startled at the sound.

How? How are you doing this? I question Levi's voice inside of my head.

It's going to be okay, Eleanor. We don't want to hurt you. Mr. Asmodeus just wants your help. Our help.

Help with what? My heart races inside of my chest at the sound of his voice.

To eliminate the human species, and to evolve the supernatural.

Why?

Help us, Eleanor.

I shake my head, Levi wouldn't do this. He wouldn't want to kill innocent people. I give him a puzzled look and nod my head. He smiles, but it's not Levi's smile. He doesn't smile like that. Then, I notice his dark brown eyes are a shade of black. I tilt my head, confused.

"Get out of my head," I say calmly, "Get out of my head, Mr. Asmodeus."

My ears stop ringing and I hear his voice, "I'm not in your head."

I look over to find him hovering over me. His gray hair is black. He's in my head, the little color differences tell me so.

"Get. Out." I say between my teeth.

"You can't lose me. I'm your shadow. I am centuries old, it's impossible."

I break off the ties around my hands and feet, and stand up slowly. I'm at least three inches shorter than him, but I'm younger and more agile. Behind him a mirror stands. My eyes glow a sort of white color as I speak, "You will leave my mind, now."

"You think you can defeat me? You can't. You may be a Saraph, but I'm a nogitsune! Do you know what that is?"

"Get out!" This time I scream at the top of my longs and push him back. He crashes into the mirror which shatters into a thousand pieces.

Everything goes back to normal. His hair is gray again and Levi's eyes are the same dark brown. Mr. Asmodeus stands there in shock as I stand up from the ground.

"That's impossible. You made a huge mistake doing that. Because I still have your mother," he snaps his finger and Blake enters the room with my mother tied up. He pushes her to the ground and I cringe.

"Mom?" my voice cracks.

"Don't give in, Eleanor, don't." her voice is cracked and dry and it makes me feel heavy.

"That's enough out of you. Now," he pulls out a gleaming silver sword and holds it in front of him, "say goodbye to your mother, Eleanor."

He slashes the sword straight through her heart. I drop to my knees and scream at the top of my lungs. I feel Levi's arms wrap around me, and I start crying into his sleeve.