Chapter Ten

"Eleanor. Eleanor Halewood. What a lovely surprise," I turn around, my brown hair sticking to the sides of my face that are sweating. Where am I? I question myself. A fear arises in my head- the dream, Levi's brother, the old man.

"I can hear your thoughts, Eleanor," the male voice chuckles, "I know your afraid. And your fear is what I feed off of."

"Who are you!" I scream into the black darkness. My voice sounding more of a command than a question, "Where are you!"

"I'm in your head, Eleanor. You're weak. You're too easy and yet your species is supposed to be powerful," his crooked laugh echoes around me and I drop to me knees.

"Get out!" I scream grabbing the sides of my head.

"Your father struggled too, but sooner or later I'll break down every wall in your mind and I'll be able to control the way you think.

"Don't you dare talk about my father when you're a monster! You killed him didn't you?" I'm close to tears. I can't even trust my own mind anymore, and I can't tell the difference from my voice and my thoughts.

"I didn't kill him. I was a pursuer of your father's death, but I wasn't the one who grabbed his soul and take it away. That would be your friend, Levi," another laugh echoes and I drop to the ground completely, sobbing through the mess of my hair.

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" I finally loose it and scream with all my might and-

A strong pair of arms takes hold of me behind as I scream. My scream softens as I see the details of my room coming into view. I turn myself around slowly to find Levi. Shock travels throughout my body like a wave. Fear overwhelms me as I think of the voice echoing along nothing. That would be your friend, Levi. A memory glues to my brain as if I will never be able to erase those exact words.

"How did you get in?" I say shakily.

"You should really get a better lock on the front door," I give a little laugh remembering how hard it was for me to get into the house my first day here.

"I had a nightmare," I state the obvious.

"I heard you," he presses his lips to my cheek gently.

"How?" I ask confused.

"I heard you screaming and your sobs inside my own dream. I came here hoping you weren't in any real danger," he kisses my cheek, edging closer to my lips.

"It wasn't just a nightmare. It was so real-" I'm cut off by his lips landing on mine.

"Don't worry, you're safe. Remember? I have your back," he pauses, "and I hope you have mine."

"Of course I do. In the dream- nightmare," I correct myself, "there was an edgy voice and it was telling me that I was weak and that I would be controlled soon like what happened to my father and then he-he said you took my father's soul away."

"It was a nightmare, Princess. You're safe," he reassures me and I give in. Just a nightmare, I think to myself, just a nightmare.