Chapter 14

When Laura got into the barn, she hid inside a coop of some kind and tried to control her breathing.

What sounded like the barn door opening, Laura became more alert but didn't move. Feeling a presence near her, the woman's head snapped to the side to see an older woman holding a shot gun.

"What in gods name are you doing here?" The woman asked, as she looked at the panting woman who was only wearing pieces of cloth to cover herself.

"It's cold" Was all Laura said, making the older woman open the door and settle the gun down.

"You got no clothes on" She pointed out, gaining a small hum from the shivering woman.

"You're....you're not on drugs, are you dear?" This almost made Laura chuckle, but instead she shook her head.

"So, you just had a rough night?"

"Yeah, i guess you could say that" Laura chuckled sadly, looking back to the ground. The older woman felt bad for Laura, which made her decision easier.

"Come on up to the house. Some of my daughter's old clothes will probably fit you" She said, then reached to grab a potato sack and gave it to the woman.

"I'm Heather Hudson, by the way. Oh and try to cover yourself with that. Don't want you giving my husband a heart attack" She smiled gently, then walked out of the barn.

Laura sighed, as she stood up and tried to cover herself as much as possible. At least so wasn't butt naked, so it was okay.

After being given some clothes, Laura had a shower and was now looking in the mirror. At first she didn't see anything different about herself, until she looked closer and noticed that she had patches of leopard print on her skin.

Her once green eyes were now an ocean blue, that held a slight glow to them. Her canines seemed longer, and when she looked down she noticed that her nails were made of metal.

Raising her hand closer to her face, Laura watched her nails grow and saw how much longer and sharper they were.

Looking back in the mirror, the woman gave out another heavy sigh. The thought of Logan made her heart ache. Did he think she was dead? Was he even alive? If so, was what Stryker said true about him being the next experiment?

Cutting her from her thoughts, there was a knock on the door making her jump slightly.

"How're you doing in there, dear? Supper's on the table" She heard Heather ask, from the other side of the door.

"I'm fine, thank you. I'll be out in a second" Laura called out, and listened as the woman walked away. Looking back at herself, then her nails one more time, Laura left the bathroom and walked into the kitchen. Both the husband and wife looked up, and smiled at Laura.

"Come sit down, dear. I hope you're hungry" The sound of Laura's stomach rumbling gave them an answer, making them chuckle slightly. Sitting down, Laura started to fill her plate.

"Thank you both for helping me out, i really appreciate this" Laura smiled, as she dug in a little too quickly.

"No need to thank us, although i don't think we got a name" The husband, Travis, spoke up.

"Oh, I'm sorry. My name is Laura, Laura Howlett" She introduced, and then continued eating. The table was silent for a little while, before Heather spoke up.

"So, why don't you tell us about yourself. Where were you born? What do you do?" Laura wiped her mouth and hands, before speaking.

"Um, well, I was born and raised here. My husband and i live in the Rockies, and i work as a professor in history at the local school" Laura explained, smiling at the thought of her husband. The couple in front of her noticed the look, and smiled.

"You have a husband? What's his name? And what does he do?" Travis asked.

"Yes, sir i do. His name is James, but he goes by Logan. And he works as a lumberjack"

"How long have you two been married?" Heather asked, causing Laura's smile to widen even more.

"Six years, ma'am. We met in early 73', and it was honestly love at first sight. Then a year later he built us a cabin, and got married not too long after that" Although technically, the two actually met in the Civil War, they just don't know that.

"Sounds like a wonderful man" Heather smiled warmly, making Laura smile back at her.

"You must be exhausted. After this, you should get a good nights rest. You can take the guest room"

Not long after dinner ended, Laura  was shown the guest room and left alone. The woman didn't really want to sleep, even though she is exhausted. She knows that if she falls asleep, the nightmares would start and she might end up hurting Travis and/or Heather. Sighing to herself, Laura sat by the window in the room and looked up at the moon.

"Where ever you are, i hope you're okay. I miss you so much, my love. My Wolverine" She whispered, while staring at the moon and she continued doing that until the sun came up.