Chapter 34

"What sightings?" Laura asked Gabriela, making the woman look at her.

"People said someone who looked like the Wolverine was in El Paso, driving. Said he looked old" She explained, and it went silent for a but before there was the sound of glass shattering. The three looked, and saw that the little girl had broken the window with her ball.

"Hey! I told you to stop it with that ball! Bad girl!" The owner scolded, and it felt like something snapped in Laura, as she marched over to the woman confusing Logan.

"Hey, she's a fucking child. Shut your mouth before i shut it for you, lady" Laura snarled, causing the woman to back off in fear.

Stepping away from the woman, she heard a thump behind her and saw Gabriela on the ground. Laura instantly smelt blood, and ran over to her.

"They're gonna have to pay for the damages" The owner complained.

"And you're gonna have to pay the best plastic surgeon in the world to fix your face, after i fucking break it. Now fuck off" Laura growled, making the lady nearly fall over her feet as she ran back to her office.

Turning back to Gabriela, Laura noticed blood running down her arm and started to move her into a sitting position. She stopped when she smelt Logan's scent, making her look at him with a dumbfounded look.

"Now's no the time, Logan" She scolded, with a slight smirk playing on her lips.

The man shook his head, trying to hide his own smirk and helped his wife move the injured woman to her room. Setting her on her bed, Laura took her jacket off and noticed a white bandage around her bicep.

Laura stopped when she saw a case full of different medication, and looked at Gabriela with a raised brow.

"I'm a nurse. Was. In Mexico City" She breathed out.

"Where did that happen?" Logan asked, pointing at the wound on her arm.

"This morning. Near the border. I got away from them, but...now they know my car" Replied Gabriela.

"Look, we've gotta go" Logan said, pulling Laura out of the room.

"No, wait. Please. Here. Please, wait! Look. Here, take this. It's twenty-thousand. Here. Take us to this address. You can have thirty-thousand when we get there" Gabriela said, handing over a yellow envelope that was filled with the money to Logan.

"My friends there will give it to you. They will be waiting. They will give you anything" The couple looked inside the envelope, and there was definitely twenty-thousand in there.

"Where in the hell did you get this kind of money?" Laura exclaimed.

"My boyfriend. He wants to kill me and take her" She said, nodding to the little girl standing in the door way.

"Some boyfriend you've got" Laura scoffed, looking at the girl who just stared at her.

The more Laura looked at her, the stronger the unfamiliar feeling in her chest gets. It made her confused. She felt almost.....nurturing towards the girl and wanted nothing more than to protect her.

"And that's your daughter?" Logan asked, turning back to Gabriela.

"Yes" She answered shortly, and for some reason the couple didn't believe her but they didn't bother questioning it.

"I know you're both still good inside. I know you both want to help us" Gabriela puffed out.

"You don't know shit about me or Logan, alright?!" Laura snapped defensively, but deep down she knew the woman was right and she hated that.

"I promise, there will be no problems if we leave now" The woman continued.

"We can't just leave to North Dakota!" The male Howlett argued.

"We have to be there Friday"

"Or what?" Laura asked, already fed up with this woman.

"Or we miss our chance to cross. Please. You have to. Please"

In the end, the couple didn't help the woman and ended up going back to the factory. While Logan went to see Charles, Laura went to their room to rest.

Sitting on their bed, the woman sighed heavily. She rubbed her face, and looked around the room until her eyes settled on her bedside table. On it was her dog-tags, hers and Logan's wedding day and a cassette tape that was given to her by Peter.

Picking the tape up, the woman looked at all the songs on it. Laura felt herself smile, as tears appeared in her eyes.

She remembered when he gave it to her. It had been years after they first met, and he put all his favourite songs in it to remind her of him whenever she was away.

Getting up from the bed, Laura found an old cassette player that Peter also gave to her and put in the tape. The woman closed her eyes, when the sound of Pink Floyd started to play. Laura swayed slightly, eyes closed and tears running down her face.

An imagine of her nephew popping up in her mind. But it was pushed away, when the memory of him dying showed up and it felt as though someone stabbed her in the heart. Her and Peter were hanging out outside when it happened. He died right in front of her and there was nothing she could do to stop it.

A sob echoed through the room, as Laura collapsed to her knees. She clutched the cassette player in her hand and just cried. Not at all caring that the others could hear her. It had been months since she last cried, and this time it felt like she couldn't stop.

Caliban, who was in the kitchen, stopped what he was doing when he heard his friend cry. He sighed sadly, as he listened to her. Logan then walked in, making the pale man look up.

"I was wondering how long it would take for her to break down. You might want to go to her" Caliban suggested.

"Yeah, thanks" Logan scoffed, then quickly walked to where the crying came from.

When he walked in, his heart immediately broke. The sight of his wife sobbing on the ground, her hands clutched around something tightly. Quickly, he moved over to her and brought her into his arms.

No words needed to be said, as Logan listened to Laura cry her heart out. It even caused Logan to shed a few tears. She reeked of sadness, and it hurt him even more knowing there was nothing that he could do to help her.

Eventually after twenty minutes of crying, Laura fell asleep in Logan's arms. Noticing this, the man carefully carried her to their bed, and tucked her in. Kneeling next to her, he swept the hair from her face, and traced over her face.

"I'm sorry, baby. I'm sorry this is what our life has come to, and i wish i could fix it" Logan whispered sadly, as he combed his fingers through her hair.

"I love you so much. I'll see you in a few days" He said, then placed a kiss on her forehead and slipped out from the room.