Slap

The room was well-appointed. It was a doctor's chamber, and he knew that his friend had done well in the medical field to deserve it. They might have been born with a golden spoon, but it was the years of hard work and dedication that had allowed his friend to head the cardiology department in this famous hospital. At one end, there was a huge desk with multiple screens and loads of files scattered around. At the opposite end was a comfortable couch where he was sure his friend had spent many a night resting from marathon surgeries.

Behind the couch, on the wall, was a collage of photos from childhood till now, and as expected, he featured heavily in them. The third wall did not exist; instead, it was a full-length glass window that allowed you to see a quarter of the city, if not more. He was looking out and staring at the horizon when he heard the door open and footsteps behind him.

'She is thankful for your support. She wants to thank you personally for it.' The doctor said. 

'There are perhaps a hundred kids that the foundation has supported in the last few years.'

'Yes, but somehow I feel a connection with her...you know the hole in her daughter's heart is in the same location as your sister's...'

'Ohh is it? Then how come she survived?'

'It was a risk that we took; I used some of the latest techniques.'

'You have moved on from an absent-minded professor to a miracle doctor.' He was smiling at his friend. 

'I can never forget all that bullying in school and your support. My life is more settled now, though.' The doctor sounded happy. 

'Glad to hear it. Your return to India has been helpful for our charity work.' It was great to have a doctor friend helping the foundation from a medical perspective, not that they needed any financial support. 

'Yes, you can say that... there might still be loose ends to tie.... but this should improve the chances of others as well.' The doctor was still thinking of the medical aspect of the case. 

'Hmm....that is why we created the foundation a few years back....'

'Yes, and I am happy to be associated with it.... helping mothers like her...'

'Somehow, I feel you are less interested in the child and more interested in the mother.' The friendly banter started, and it seemed the years between them just rolled off.

The doctor answered with a crooked smile. 'Well, she is a divorcee, and it seems it was a very bitter divorce. She is off men; I can tell you that.'

'So, you tried...?' his eyebrow quivered, and a smile played on his lips, he could not resist  teasing his friend.

'Ohh I cannot even think of it...she came through Manya's reference. I, for one, want my marriage to happen.' The doctor clutched his white coat while looking his friend in the eye.

'Then she is not to be bothered about...'

'Not really, she is beautiful enough to tempt a man....no guarantee for a monk though.' The doctor was smiling again, teasing his friend back.

'I am not a monk either, not sure why you keep accusing me of that crime.' His arms were now crossed on his chest and a smile played on his lips, enjoying the banter. 

'You have not married, and forget marriage, I do not even hear of a long-term girlfriend.' The doctor argued. 

'Ohh it seems my love life is cursed....' He tried to be dramatic. 

'Do get some jhaad phoonk (exorcism) done.'

'Coming from a medical man, a scientist like you...I cannot believe you are asking me to get an exorcism done...' he feigned as if he was not able to believe what his friend said.