Reining in the Chaos

When Dr. Rajan re-entered his chamber, he immediately sensed that Daivik was upset. Something had happened, and he couldn't fathom what. His friend appeared as if he had been slapped, with Daivik's hand still on his right cheek, slightly red. It was a sight Rajan had never expected.

'Dev, what happened?'

'Hmm,' Daivik mumbled, still staring at the door.

Rajan walked to the other end, waving his hand in front of Daivik's face to bring him back to reality.

'I did not...did not expect to.... run into her....' Daivik continued to mumble.

'Her? As in...? Rajan was confused

'She just ...left...' Daivik said.

'Dyuti's mother?' Rajan asked.

'I think that was the name....' Daivik said not sure if he heard it correctly.

'You know her...?' Rajan was still trying to fathom what had happened.

'She is my ex-wife.' Daivik's tone was clipped.

'She is what....' Rajan was shocked.

'My ex-wife.' Daivik somehow spoke the words and immediately left the room, unable to say more.

'Dyuti's mother, you mean......?' Rajan was beyond surprised, still trying to piece together the situation.

Daivik nodded in response and started towards the door as if in a trance. Rajan did not stop his friend as he himself was still reeling from this revelation. He sat on his chair, staring at the wall, thinking of the implications of what his friend just told him. He would check with Manya if Daivik was ever married, and if so, why did he, as a friend, not know about it? And why did Daivik never mention it? He decided to ask his mom when they talked next; she would know much more. He needed to handle this calmly.

Shubhi, on the other hand, had a very adverse physical reaction to running into Daivik. She came out of the room and headed immediately to the washroom. She vomited, and it took her 10 full minutes to rein in the chaos inside her. Despite the last six years, all this.... this man, Daivik Rawal. Despite what he had done to her, her daughter.... rather than apologizing, he accused her.... of adultery!

She washed her face, and as cold water hit her, she forced herself to focus on today. She hated him from the bottom of her heart, but she had her responsibilities and needed to get back to her daughter to check on her. After all, it was just days after such a major surgery. She had to stay in the hospital for a few more days before they could go back home. Her parents would be arriving any moment to give her the daily few hours' break from the vigil. Dyuti was awake and progressing well. She had to pull herself together despite the emotional storm she had just been in.

She walked back to her daughter's hospital room to see her sleeping peacefully despite all the tubes connected to her small body. The only reprieve was that these tubes were being reduced every day, and Dr. Rajan had promised that Dyuti would be allowed to move around with support from the next day. Shubhi sat on the chair next to Dyuti, held her hand, and told her that she loved her unconditionally. Dyuti would probably never get the love from her father and his family, but as a mother, she is committed to her. And with that, the dam broke, and Shubhi cried again, taking her full five minutes to compose herself.

Her parents were expected any moment to be here to take over the care of Dyuti for the next few hours. She could not and would not share the recent events with her parents. Shuchi's wedding was less than a month away, and she wanted it to go well for her younger sister. Her daughter, family, and work were her order of priority, and Daivik did not even feature on the list. Maybe he ranked below the sensational news channels that she never watched! As of now, in her opinion, he had hit rock bottom and was now digging! The man had the gall to accuse her of adultery!