Chapter Three: Letter Delivery and Destressing Candies

Russia woke up, his father had pulled the blanket off him and was trying to get him up. The sun was brightly shining through the window, it wasn't late, but definitely a bit later than he usually woke up. 

"I'm up, I'm up! Daaaaad!"he said as he held tight to the pillow his dad was about to take from him. 

"Good morning! Why are you so tired? Usually I don't have to come wake you up on your free day." 

Russia stayed quiet, trying to think of an excuse. He didn't want to say that he'd stayed up to write a letter. He'd forgotten that today was a free day and that he could do what he wanted. He really could've written the letter today and not last night. 

He groaned a little. "Daaaad I'm just stupid. Leave me be" he grumbled. 

His dad hummed and left. Before he did, he spoke. "Just tell me about why later. You missed breakfast." 

Russia groaned and yelled out an "I'll live" in response. 

He got up, closed the door, drew the curtains closed, and then picked out an outfit. He got dressed, he'd picked out a pair of black shorts and a blue sweater. He put his hair into a high ponytail before putting on his ushanka. 

Once he was dressed, he folded the letter he'd written the night before. He put it into an envelope, and wrote "To the night gardener" on the back. And below it he wrote "From Nyx". Once the ink was dry, he put it in his pocket. He left his room and went outside, going to the patch of chamomile flowers under his window. He moved the flowers aside, careful not to damage them, and placed the letter in them. He knew the gardener's had already watered them as the soil was damp. He made sure that he positioned the letter so it'd be visible to the other. He then moved away, walking around the palace for a while. 

He eventually found himself in America's office. America looked up when he heard him walk in, and his expression went unreadable. 

Then he spoke, it was a softer tone than he'd ever heard from him before. "You're not injured are you?" 

"I'm not."  Russia confirmed. 

"Why are you here? I don't mind if you want to stay" America said, humming as he went back to his reorganization of the medicinal herbs. Or, at least that's what Russia thought they were. 

Russia took this as an invitation to just stay around, seeing America like this was conflicting to what he'd heard from others. It was conflicting, but nice to see the other was a bit relaxed. 

He'd been sick once, and America had been called to come treat him. America had been newly hired at the time, but carried himself as if he'd been there forever. America had soothed him and checked his fever, then gone to asking about symptoms. He hadn't been no-nonsense in his earlier days, but he guessed the guards coming in with such odd injuries might do that. 

He'd only been working at the castle for two years, but it felt like he'd been there longer. America was looking at him strangely, and lightly waved. 

Russia realized he'd been staring at him and got embarrassed. His cheeks flushed as he apologized. 

America hummed and went back to what he'd been doing. "Something's on your mind, I presume?" 

"Yeah, something like that." Russia mumbled. 

America nodded and grabbed something, tossing it to him. "That should help. It's a candy I worked on with Japan." He loosely explained. 

"Thank you...?" Russia said, confused. 

"It's a de-stressor. Whatever's on your mind seems to be a source of stress, so that should make you feel better" America said with a hum. 

Russia nodded and popped it in his mouth. It tasted nice, it was quite calming. 

America seemed to pause at something then turned around to face Russia. "Have you eaten today?" He asked. 

"...Why do you ask?" Russia asked in return. 

America sighed and went behind his desk, opening a drawer. 

"Here. I keep little snacks like these back here" America said, handing Russia a bag of sunflower seeds. They seemed to be roasted, and looked appetizing. 

Russia smiled a bit and thanked America before trying one. They were slightly sweet and had a twinge of salt. They were really good. 

"If you're gonna be in my office, then you should get something in your system!" America said with a smile. 

Then someone walked into the office, their arm was bandaged. America seemed to immediately recognize them. 

"Good, you actually came in for a follow-up" America said to the person. 

They laughed and sat down near the table. 

"My sister would kill me if I didn't- plus you'd probably track me down" they said with a fond and joking tone. They had a smile on their face. 

America nodded "Damn right I would 'taly! Now unwrap those so I can get some fresh bandages on it." He sounded stern, but there was more to it. 

Russia hadn't seen the American grab a couple medical supplies, but he had them now and was checking over what he presumed was his work. After a second America bonked " 'taly" on the head.

"I told you not to use that arm you little shit! And what'd ya do? Fecisti usquam!" America sounded frustrated by the other. 
(*You did it anyway!) 

"Ask for forgiveness, not permission?" The person tried. 

"That doesn't apply to medical issues!" America chided as he went back to treating the person. 

Soon the person left America's office, leaving it to just be the two of them again. 

"My shift is ending here soon, and you shouldn't miss another meal." America said softly. "I'm not kicking ya out, just saying that you should go have a meal with your family." 

Russia nodded at that. 

"Feel free to show up here anytime, I don't mind." America said as Russia left. 

Russia decided that he might just take him up on that. The healer actually had a very nice presence, his disposition wasn't dissimilar to the nighttime gardener's. Maybe he was wrong about the gardener not being America. Seeing him do work like this might tell him more about him.