Chapter Thirty-four: 'Hogwash chances' and malaphors

America smiled to himself, watching as Russia left. He was glad Russia had a little companion now, and that the kitten had someone to rely on again. He closed the door and went back to his spot at the desk, and noticed that some of his friends were huddled together, whispering about something. He wasn't sure what they were whispering about, and he didn't care to find out. 

Japan was the one who moved away from the whispering first and giggled a bit as she moved over to America. 

"America~!" She purred with a giggle. "You have a chance with him~" 

"No I don't" He dismissed, rolling his eyes. She found another way to tease him. Peachy. "That's hogwash Japan, and you know it." 

"No, it's not!" His friend whined, insistent on the fact that America did have a chance. "He was blushing when you hugged him!" 

"It could've just caught him off guard and embarrassed him." America reminded, rolling his eyes. There were several possible reasons Russia blushed when he hugged him, so just assuming it was because of returned feelings was just stupid. 

Japan groaned and looked at him. "You didn't see the way he was looking at you! You totally have a chance!" 

"How about we change the subject before we have an argument?" South Korea suggested, hoping to shut her girlfriend up before she managed to make this into an argument. 

"Yes please" America mumbled, relaxing into his chair. 

They spent the next few minutes picking a new topic. Japan eventually dropped the teasing after a while of Bean messing with her hair. America did his best to keep the topic from going back to his crush on Russia, especially since Japan seemed insistent on the fact that Russia probably returned his feelings. 

After a while, he drifted out of the conversation, getting lost in his own thoughts. He found himself thinking about Russia and a bit about Nyx. The two were quite similar, and honestly he thought they'd probably be great friends if they ever met. They'd probably be like two peas in a pod, and he'd be happy to see it. 

"Hey America, it's getting a bit late, we're all going to head out" China said, getting up. 

That snapped America out of his thoughts. He nodded and got up, smiling at them. He bid them all goodnight as they left his room, heading to their own rooms. 

Once they were all out, he pet his cat, Bean, gently before grabbing something more comfortable to garden in. He chose a maroon sweater that he'd embroidered golden yellow details into and black loose-fitting pants. After changing, he grabbed his messenger bag and put it on, petting his cat once more before he left. Once he was out, he started his gardening excitedly, being careful and gentle as he did. 

He found himself lost in his thoughts as he gardened, until he reached the chamomiles and found an envelope left by Nyx. 

He carefully picked it up and excitedly began reading. 

Dear Aku, 
Oh, I got it?! But the guessing game continues, I suppose! 
Since you don't mind questions, I have a few! This might narrow my guesses down a lot.
Is the shift a mammal shift? If not, what category of shifts should I look at? 
Yeah, that was a malaphor, I love those things. They're fun! Some are funny. Like: "You've opened this can of worms, now lie in it" or "... until the cows freeze over". 
That being said, I promise I won't let anyone get hurt while I get her away from you(when I figure out how). As much as I'd like to seek retribution on your behalf, I won't because you asked and I hold a great deal of care for you and I care a lot about your feelings on things like this. 
How do you handle people outside of office hours? Especially if you find them attractive. I'm genuinely curious. 
And I have given Anatoly pets for you! I hope you are comfortable enough with me after finding out who I am to go to my room to pet him. 
Also, really? I didn't know! I just have been basing my guesses on what the census allows for you to answer with, so thank you for telling me! 
Also, from what I've heard, shifters are noted to not be able to practice magic well, so could you tell me how true that is? 
Another question, I've been curious about this for a little while, why are your sclera (I think that's the term for the "whites of the eyes") black? 
Also, my first guess in the general animal category is a bat of some kind. If you're not a mammal, one of my guesses would be some sort of corvid. 

Sincerely, Nyx 

He smiled a little, being able to feel Nyx's excitement about getting it right was nice and a little cute, even if he couldn't see the other's face. He hummed a little as he read the questions Nyx had to narrow the guess down. He was glad Nyx was taking him up on that, as he was excited to meet him. 

He smiled a little as he found out that Nyx liked malaphors, finding the ones he provided funny. 

He relaxed a little as he read that Nyx wouldn't do anything in retribution, thankful no harm would come to Argentina... Even if she wasn't kind. He read through Nyx's question and considered how he'd answer it, as Nyx was probably seeking a little bit of advice on how to handle it himself. 

He smiled happily, glad Anatoly had gotten extra pets. He also made a mental note to reassure Nyx that he'd definitely be comfortable going to his room. 

He found himself humming a little as he read how Nyx had been getting his guesses, it made sense. 

As he read the other questions Nyx had, considering how he'd answer them. 

Then he got to guesses, chucking and smiling at them. They were wrong, but cute. 

Once he was done, he folded it back up and put it in its envelope. Then he continued to tend to the flowers, humming a little tune to himself while he did.