Chapter Six: Writing Responses and a Crow

America yawned a bit as he got up, he'd fallen asleep an hour after midnight. It was now 6:30, and the sun was still low in the sky. He had gotten most of the way through his response letter before deciding to rest. He grabbed the letter and carefully placed it, a couple sheets of extra paper, and an envelope in his bag. Then put them in a folder before doing so, to protect them from any folding or damage. He then got into his proper work outfit, singing his messenger bag over his shoulder. He then headed off, grabbing himself a snack he'd snagged from the market the last time he went to town.

He walked through the early morning air, smiling as he felt the cool morning air. Soon he arrived at his office and walked in. He then put his messenger bag down, going to finish up a small report on Italy's stubbornness in receiving proper treatment. After that, he reviewed the reports from the previous week. When he was content with his knowledge of the treatments he'd administered and their effectiveness, he took out the letter he was writing.

He continued writing his response with a happy smile. He chuckled to himself while answering the lightly crossed out question, finding himself fond of Nyx's care to not ask a question that may cause discomfort. He then just quietly hummed as he continued writing.

He heard someone come in, and looked up. He smiled a little when he saw that it was Russia. He was happy that the prince was taking up his offer. It meant he wasn't alone during all hours of work, and Russia was good company. Even if he knew that he'd not be able to compose himself off shift with Russia. He was glad he could hold an air of professionalism near him.

He'd be able to function, though he'd definitely be flustered in Russia's presence. He wouldn't mind spending time with him outside of his shift.

"So, what are you up to?" Russia asked.

Only then did America realize he hadn't said anything, just smiled. He'd kept writing. But when he checked, he was thankful to find hadn't written anything that he'd been thinking about.

"Someone wrote me a letter, I wanted to finish my response to him." America said, dipping his quill in the inkwell. "I didn't last night, so I'm going to now. I wanted to send it on my way here this morning, but I didn't finish it last night." He bashfully admitted.

His tone did not display his bashfulness, but he was glad it didn't. It would be far too embarrassing for him.

America heard Russia hum to himself, and then continued writing, quickly finishing up the rest of the letter. He lightly capped his inkwell with a happy hum. He then watched the ink, waiting a moment for it to dry before he folded the letter up, taking the envelope out of his bag. He gently tucked the letter in the envelope then lightly sealed it.

He wrote "From Aku, to Nyx" on the back of the envelope, using the last of the ink from his quill before putting it away.

America walked over to his mostly cleared pile of supplies, and began to go through it again. He then quietly hummed after a moment.

"You ate breakfast this morning, right?" he asked, looking up from his sorting to check Russia's response.

"Yea, I did. I was actually up early this morning" Russia responded, smiling.

America found himself relieved and smiled. "That's good to hear! I was worried about that yesterday." America admitted. "I hope you are in the habit of getting proper rest and eating properly." He added, taking a handful of normal first aid supplies to a drawer.

America continued working, and then lightly hopped as a thought came back to him.

"Oh! If you don't mind, pass a message on to your father, Soviet." America started, he'd remembered the reports from this week. "Tell him to drop by, I have a couple status reports to hand over" America finished. He had more than a couple reports to hand over, but that wasn't here nor there.