Chapter Twenty-two: Head Pats and Notes

America sighed, not really sure what to do at the moment. He watched what was happening outside his window for a bit, and didn't find anything that gave him any ideas, but the scenery was quite relaxing to him. So maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to just rest. 

He crossed his arms out in front of him and rested his head on top of them. He wasn't going to sleep, just resting. 

It was like that for a while before he heard any noise, he heard a loud "DAD STOP-" from the direction of the rooms of the royals, but couldn't identify the voice of which of them it was. But he was able to tell they weren't distressed, just flustered, so he decided to continue resting for a bit. 

After a while longer, he heard someone pass by his office, and by then, he felt too relaxed to want to look up. Then he heard someone walk in, then the sound of something being placed down. He was curious now, but he'd wait. 

Then he felt a hand run through his hair. Someone was messing with his hair. They continued to do so until he made a noise, he was a little flustered and quickly calmed himself down. He stretched out his arms, as a cat would stretch after waking, and then opened his eyes and lifted his head. 

He saw Russia, but didn't feel convinced that it was Russia. So he blinked a couple times, as if to clear sleep from his eyes. But no, before him, Russia still stood. 

He now knew Russia was the one who'd been messing with his hair, but decided that he'd deal with that later. He'd deal with the very flustering implications of that later. 

He looked up at Russia and smiled a little at him, humming a little as he pulled his arms back close to himself. 

"Hey Russia" He greeted, smiling a little. He was happy to see Russia, as the other was nice to be around. 

"Hey America, I wanted to return the mug from last night." Russia said, sounding a little awkward and rubbing the back of his neck. 

Russia then went over to the coffee table and grabbed one of two mugs that was sitting on it. 

"I washed it." He said as he gave the mug to America. 

America smiled a little and took the mug, getting up to go put the mug away in the cabinet he'd pulled it out of the night before. Once it was put away, he went and sat back at the desk. 

"Thank you, but you didn't have to, I could have done it." he said, smiling anxiously. 

"I did have to." Russia said, smiling at him. 

America hummed a little and propped an arm up on his desk, opting to rest his head on his hand. 
"Well, I respectfully disagree with you on that, Russia." 

Russia hummed a little to show his disagreement with America's statement, but America opted to not respond. America made his disagreement with the statement known, and was content with that. 

America looked up at Russia and smiled a bit at him, he was hoping to show that he enjoyed Russia's presence. He wasn't sure how aware of that Russia was, but he hoped this was keeping it clear. 

"I really like being around you, I hope you know that." He mumbled, hoping Russia heard him. If Russia hadn't, it may be too flustering to repeat for him. So he just hoped Russia didn't ask him to repeat it. 

There was a moment's pause, before it became evident Russia likely had heard him but had not understood because of his mumbling. 

"Could you please repeat that?" Russia asked, sounding confused. 

America felt a bit of blush creep up to his cheeks as he tried to calm himself before it was noticeable. 

"I really enjoy being around you, I hope you know that." He repeated with a bit more confidence. 

Russia paused as if to process what America had just said before pulling his Ushanka over his face. 

America wasn't sure how to take that, so he got up and walked over to Russia, pulling him into a gentle hug, hoping it might help him feel better. After a second, he felt Russia slowly return the hug. He smiled a little, this let him know that Russia was okay and likely enjoyed the hug as well. 

America wasn't sure how long they stayed like that, but when they pulled away he noticed that it was a bit past when his shift was over. 

"Ah! Russia, I'm sorry!" America said when he noticed the time. 

Russia shook his head and smiled at him, which confused America. He wasn't sure what that meant, and hoped Russia might clarify. 

But he didn't, just said goodbye and patted his head before leaving. 

That left America blushing and confused, just trying to process what the hell had just happened. 

By the time he realized he needed to get back to his quarters, he noticed that the sun was farther down than usual, his friends likely would have left already. 

He sighed and started his walk back to his room, and as he'd thought, when he got there, there was a note on his door. He picked it up and read it. 

You may have escaped teasing today, but you won't tomorrow Rosa. 

-Mexico, Japan, Italy, and Canada 

He immediately realized that he was in for a lot of teasing the next day, he'd completely forgotten that Italy had heard Samuel call Russia "Papa". 

He shrugged a little to himself and went into his quarters, closing the door behind him. He got himself ready and then started his walk around the castle, excitedly anticipating the fourth letter he'd be getting from Nyx. 

Soon enough, but not soon enough for America's tastes, he reached the chamomile flowers. He gently tended to them as he usually did, and once he was done grabbed the letter from the flowers. 

He gently undid the seal and opened the letter to read it. 

Dear Aku, 
I feel that setting myself a deadline for meeting up may be stupid, but I'm feeling a little brave. So when I get what race you are right (unless you're a shifter, in which I have to guess what the general area of specialization is) I'd like you to tell me. My response will probably be a time and place, or I'll just be there waiting for you. That's pending right now! 
Well, knowing that is how dosing on it works is upsetting, but I'll live! I was hoping to be able to not deal with the drawbacks of not sleeping so I can see the stars, but as is life. 
I asked my dad and he said that I'm a disaster, but not as bad as my little sister. So apparently I'm not too bad! Well, I probably am, but out of my family I'm not too bad. 
Also, if I ever catch Argentina, I'll punt her for you. That or I'll find a way to help get her away from you. Because you deserve better! 
Also, I knew tucking was dangerous, but I didn't know it was that dangerous! It's good to know though, I've never tucked myself. I don't think my siblings have either, but knowing how badly it can affect you is concerning! 
I'm glad you like Anatoly! I'll introduce you to him if you're still interested once you know who I am. 
As for Bean, if you'd be willing after a first proper meeting, I'd like to meet him. I want to give him pets myself- 
I hope you did give him pets for me though! 
And my current guesses are Dryad descendant, elf, or Breton(I know they are a human elf blend, but they're recognized as their own thing on the census). But I heavily doubt Breton, as you have told me you're not human. 

Sincerely, Nyx 

America hummed a little as he read, a little concerned Nyx was rushing himself. He hoped the other wasn't causing himself any stress over meeting up with him. America chuckled a little when he read the part about Nyx's sister apparently being worse than him, it was funny and cute to him. 

It was nice to know someone cared about him that much, but he'd have to discourage punting the girl- as funny and cathartic as the idea was, it wasn't one that was something he could encourage. 

He smiled a little as he read over the rest, noting that he'd have to tell the other the guesses were wrong. This guessing game would go on for a while, was something he concluded pretty quickly.