Chapter Twenty~Two

With my journal in hand I sneak down the stairs only pausing to briefly debate on the front swing or a lounge chair in the back yard. I decide on the back yard so that way I can listen to the pool waves. Archer is tossing on the pullout couch, a small groan echos through the quiet room. The few times I've heard him make noises when I pass by I don't tell him about it.

I know as well as anyone dreams are bitches.

I keep quiet as I head toward the back door. I have tried to convince Archer that Vic and I can share his room or I can take the pull out. He still refuses. It's to the point that when I bring it up he changes the subject. "Reagan."

I pause looking back to the alpha only to find him still asleep. He mutters more so I take a curious step closer. I can't exactly make out what he's saying but I do let out a startled yelp when he grabs me, pinning me to the bed. A feral low growl rumbles in his chest striking fear in me. "Archer?"

His eyes close as he takes a deep breath. His grip loosen before he rolls off of me, plopping back into the bed. "I'm sorry."

"No, I shouldn't have gotten so close," I immediately respond.

  For the next couple of minutes the only thing that can be heard is our breathing, his much heavier than mine. I stare at the ceiling unsure of what to do next. My dream having already left my mind. "Nightmare?"

"Yeah."

"Do you get those a lot?"

"Not neat as often as you," he half laughs. He sits up running a hand through his hair. He looks back to me, amber eyes glowing in the dark. "I want to show you something."

  He pushes himself out of the bed walking to the front door to slide on some tennis shoes. I leave my book on the bed following after him, slipping on my boots he got me. It's still dark as he leads me through the pack, we only pass guards who are doing rounds are switching shifts.

   He leads me in the woods not far from his own house until a rock trail starts which we follow. He rubs at the back of his neck before holding his hand out to me. I set mine in his in which he pulls me to his side. "I've spoke to mom, Megan, andVic, they all agree with me."

"About?" I ask staring at the house in front of me. It's a German inspired home with vines growing up the sides of it.

"None of us have ever intended to live here, it was moms grandmothers," he explains tugging me onto the porch. He reaches under the mat grabbing a key. "Now, it's yours."

  I stare dumbly at the key in his hand. I'm not entirely sure I've heard him right. I couldn't have. Why would they alpha and his family just give me a house? He puts the key in my hand, gently closing his hand around mine. "I've been doing some upgrade to it when I get the chance."

"When do you get the chance?" I whisper.

He lets go of my hand. "Uh, mostly at night when I can't sleep. Which is most nights."

"Here I was thinking you were in like some secret cult sneaking around in the shadows."

He lets out a forced laugh, then clears his throat. "Let's go check it out." He heads inside causing me to hesitate. Why did he start acting so weird?

I follow him inside only to be greeted with dark wooden floors and light blue walls. Two brown couches and a coffee table. It smell of fresh paint. On the opposite side are some stairs that have clearly been worked on. Underneath the stairs is a little reading nook with built in book shelves. "Archer-"

"Three bedrooms, two and a half bath. You have a decent kitchen, dining room, a basement, then there's a small greenhouse out back that I built. David said something about every witch needs a garden," he says leaning in a doorway.