Chapter Seven

I mindlessly fiddle with the hem of my skirt while I am engrossed in this history book I took from Alpha's bookshelf. This morning, Mother Luna helped me pick out my clothing once again. Today I am wearing what she called 'carefree light blue button front' which is fancy to say its a bit loose and it has a row black buttons down the front of it. My tight-fitting black shirt has thin white lines in it but I wear it tucked in. I glance down at my mismatched socks before shaking my head, I couldn't find any of the matches.

    Alpha told me to get comfortable as he has done all of his work today because we were not leaving the office until dinner and he has been true to his word. I followed the Alphas orders and curled up in this chair, my back against the armchair and my knees resting on the opposite one. I finished the novel about some of our Gods and Goddess which was entertaining but I craved something with a bit more truth to it. I have been reading the same passage for the past five minutes with my fiddling hand now playing with a stray strand of hair. I glance up from my book to see the Alpha quickly avert his eyes back to his laptop. Was he watching me? That's not even what I was going to address in the first place. I probably just imagined it though. "Alpha," I call out still looking at him. He glances at me with a knowing look which consists of one eyebrow raised. Alpha has been pressing me more and more on using his real name instead. At breakfast, I had to look at him and repeat Archer twenty times.

"Archer," I slowly correct making him smile, "who is Marragada?"

  He looks down at the book in my hands, so I close it and show him the cover. He makes an 'ah' noise before clearing his throat. "Well first off its Mar-rock-ada, not Marr-ag-adad, and she is the Goddess of the Night, Moon, and all their creations."

"I thought that was just Luna?" I mutter in confusion. I have really only heard people refer to her as Moon Goddess or Luna the Goddess. I glance back down to the thick book in my hands in confusion before looking back up at the Alpha. His seemingly glowing amber eyes are already studying my reaction.

"It is just a name she uses when she visits humans."

"Is this book actually factual though? It says we have mates, like soulmates that are meant for us," I ask as my frown deepens. This doesn't make any sense at all. I have never heard of true mates and we always pick our own mates. I toss the book on the desk before him but he just lets out a sigh. He laces his fingers together before setting it on the book.

"Because she did Reagan," he simply replies, dropping his serious demeanor and going back to the computer. I have a true mate? Why don't more people know this?

"You can't do that! You have to explain," I cry out making him laugh. I flinch back recognizing the tone I just used on him and fight back my instinct to get in the submissive position to beg for forgiveness. He has expressed how uncomfortable it makes him when I do that. "I didn't mean to yell, I apologize," I state instead.

  Alpha just shrugs it off before pointing at the book. "Our species was created with soulmates, just like how this book says. The book isn't wrong," he says looking me directly in the eyes. He then licks his lips before speaking again. "The second Alpha, ever, turned down the advances of the wrong girl. He wanted to save himself for his true mate. The lines get blurry on what exactly happened but it is believed that his sister, Draga, was cursed by this girl forcing Draga to murder her brother. Fear was somehow rooted in the packs that they too would fall to the same fate if they kept waiting for their true mates."

"That doesn't explain how we can't tell or why people don't know."

"Give me a second," he grumbles at me. "Marragada was heartbroken that they would refuse this gift she gave them. She let the bonds weaken between the souls but you'll always be missing your other half. It is suspected that you can ask Marragada to tell you if you have seen or came in contact with your mate. Sometimes she may even answer."