Chapter Thirty~One

"I think the appropriate question would by why they wanted to kill Victor," I say leaning back against the desk. I try to keep my gaze on David instead of Archer. Ever since the other day whenever I catch his gaze my cheeks heat up.

  David looks up from the book in his hands, his grey eyes fluttering between Archer and I. "It could've been a message." Like everything about David, his voice is leved. Something I have not inherited from him.

I catch myself comparing us to find any and all similarities. Personality wise we are very different. David is confident, cocky even. He knows he's feared and he loves it. Physically I do see the similarities, the hair, freckles, jaw, nose. All the things that never made since with Irwin now does.

I scoff pulling myself to the topic at hand. Vic and Archer. "Why wait until now to attack the alphas runt brother? When he's right there beside said alpha?" It would have made more sense to do a heart shot to the alpha to make the pack crumble however Vic was very clearly the target.

David finally catches my own gaze, his jaw clenching as he does. The intensity of his gaze making me uncomfortable. "A message to you."

A chill rolls down my spine at his words. However my wolf perks up in anger wanting to find whoever did this. Why would someone try to kill Victor to send me a message? "Is there anyone you've upset recently?"

Just a whole group of alphas but I can't tell him that. "Father Alpha, my mother, their friends, probably Irwin's family as well. I've never been a fan favorite among this pack, not to mention just the general people who despise runts," I say instead looking away from him. "Were you able to find anything out about the weapon?"

He just shakes his head sinking further in his chair before putting his ankle on his knee is a relaxed position. "However I am impressed with your performance of making the antidote. I'm proud of you Reagan."

I awkwardly keep my own gaze on the floor as my face heats up. "I'm just relieved I got it right."

"I'm sure the entire pack is. If it weren't for you their alpha would've died at least twice by now," David adds. He then lets out a heavy sigh. "However I doubt whoever tried to assassinate Victor is thrilled to know their status went up from trying to assassinate a runt to almost killing an alpha."

  He looks between us once again before standing. "My lack of progress has irritated me deeply however what I'm about to say is not from a place of irritation or anger. If another one of you Acer men hurt my daughter I will annihilate your entire bloodline, including every single one of your fathers bastards."

  There's a long awkward pause between all of us. "I'm sorry what?" It's been a few days since everything happened, David has been using magic to try and dig up some sort of clue. He's came up just as empty handed as the rest of us which I feel like is a cause of concern.

  Archer and I have been discreet about our evolving relationship. I feel like we haven't changed how we act whenever anyone else is around so how would David have any clue?

"Don't play stupid. The young Alpha can't stop staring at you Reagan. More so than before. Almost boldly. Too boldly might I add," David scolds. His gaze narrowing on Archer.

"That doesn't matter, what matters is trying to find who that gun belongs to," I retort. I do not want to have a conversation about Archer and I with David.

  David laughs while shaking his head. "Oh it matters," he lowly says heading towards the door. "I'll keep on my investigation but remember my words Archer. Every single one of you."

  Then he dramatically slams the door. "You know, I can see you get your dramatics from him."

"I am not dramatic!" I gasp snapping my attention to Archer.