Chapter Five

It seemed that as soon as Alpha Archer's fork touched his plate, after his last bite, he was shoving me in his office and going to deal with pack issues. He locked me in his office and I haven't heard anything since. At first, I was fine with having a moment alone but after I finished filing the mountain he had gave me this morning I quickly became bored. Now I am trying to find new ways to keep myself occupied, which there aren't many. I can either rummage around and be a snoop or I can play with his chair.

I chose the chair.

  I plop down in the large desk chair and start to spin myself around in circles, making my world blur together. I can start to feel the lightness that normally comes with being dizzy. Suddenly, the chair stops spinning but my head doesn't. I try to suppress the giggles of dizziness but with mine and my wolf's combined entertainment, I still laugh. My eyes land on a familiarly stunning set of amber eyes making me bow my head. I glance back up seeing the Alpha glare down at me. Is he upset I'm sitting in his chair? "Is everything olay Alpha, I mean Archer," I ask but his gaze only intensifies. Alpha clears his throat but it sounds a bit more like is trying to cover up a growl. Why does he seem so unsettled?

"It wants to see you again. Alone."

"Why, I mean why would he want that?" I stutter. I can feel my palms grow sticky with sweat as my nerves start to get the best of me. Why would he want to see me? Last time I saw him it was a horrible mess and I had to beg my alpha for forgiveness. Alpha leans back out of my personal space before he answers.

"He wouldn't say. The only thing he will say is that he wants to talk to you and you alone," Alpha explains with that hard stare of his. Does he think I have been lying about not knowing that man?

"I am going to see him, aren't I?" I ask and Alpha nods very reluctantly. He obviously doesn't want me to go see Ghost. Does Ghost unsettle Alpha as much as he unsettles me?

"I will be there, outside the cell, the whole time," he reassures while helping me out of the seat. The entire way to the prison Alpha makes me walk beside him, despite how many times I have tried to slink back. He decided that we should walk there which I am thankful for. It gives me time to calm down and to think of what I should say. There is also the bonus of me just getting out of the building. It was getting stuffy inside.

As soon as I walk inside the prison that I am slammed with the smell of Ghost. It comes so suddenly and unexpectedly that I choke and gag on the scent. "Are you okay?" Alpha asks, looking down at me with a worried stare.

"His scent is just overwhelming, a lot stronger than I remember."

There's an odd scoff laugh that Alpha does while rubbing at his knuckles of his left hand while a devious smile ghosts his lips. "Oh, I know," he replies darkly. He knows? He knows what?

Wait.

I feel my mouth involuntarily drop as I gawk at the Alpha before me. It takes a second for me to register that I actually spoke. "You tortured him?" The words tumbled out of my mouth so suddenly and sounded so appalled that I could slap myself. I know I can't talk to him like that. I can't really talk to anyone so judgemental.

At the last second, I catch his surprised look, brows furrowed in question and lips slightly apart but he quickly recovers. He sighs like I am the one being overdramatic. How am I being overdramatic? I wasn't aware that our alpha tortured people. Okay, I knew he had a guy for that specific purpose because sometimes you just gotta do it but I didn't know Alpha ever personally done it.

That's what you get when you don't follow pack news.

"Reagan, I only stabbed him like four times. The bastard had it comin' too," he justifies. Why specifically four times? "I will admit I hit him more times then I had cared to count though."