TWENTY THREE

no

no

᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃ ᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

Ada sat in her room, looking out the window and into Wakanda. She stepped out onto the balcony and breathed deeply. Ada leaned against the balcony, looking out over the sprawling Wakanda skyline. The sun had set, and the night sky filled with stars was breathtaking. She had grown up here, and it would always be home to her. Except for the darkness that had descended when the king and princess were victims of Thanos' snap. She knew that the Second Black Panther had left when he did. She couldn't be the Second Black Panther without T'Challa.

Suddenly, she heard footsteps and saw Okoye come into the room. Ada knew didn't know why she was there. But Okoye did. Okoye knew that Natasha, Steve, and Scott Lang were waiting for Ada. They needed her for a mission.

"Ada," Okoye said. "I got a call from Nat, Steve, and Scott Lang. They need the Second Black Panther. You."

Ada's heart sank. She had known this day would come, but she wasn't ready for it. She had made a vow to never be the Second Black Panther without T'Challa, and she had meant it. She looked up at Okoye, her eyes flashing with anger.

"No," she said firmly. "I won't do it. T'Challa was like my brother, and I won't be the Second Black Panther without him."

Okoye looked at Ada sympathetically. She knew how much T'Challa had meant to Ada, and she respected her decision.

"Ada, I understand," she said softly. "But the world needs the Second Black Panther. We have to do this. We need you."

Ada shook her head. She knew what was at stake, but she couldn't bring herself to accept it.

"No," she said again, her voice rising. "I won't do it. I'm not the person you think I am. I'm not the one you're looking for."

Okoye nodded in understanding, but she refused to give up.

"Ada," she said firmly. "You are the Second Black Panther. You have the power to make a difference. You owe it to yourself and to the world to accept this mission. You could get Shuri and T'Challa back. Please, Ada. We need you."

Ada took a deep breath and looked out over the city one last time. She thought of T'Challa and the legacy he had left behind. She knew he would accept this mission. But she wasn't him.

With a heavy heart, she turned to Okoye and shook her head.

"No," she said. "I'm sorry. I won't do it."

-

Okoye told Ada that Queen Ramonda had requested her presence. Ada didn't think much of it since they talked every day, but little did she know, the Queen was not her intended audience.

Okoye and Ada walked to the main room where the throne was, but Ramonda wasn't there. Instead, there was a hologram of a room that consisted of a desk with papers, bookshelves, and people. Those people were Natasha Romanoff, Steve Rogers, and Scott Lang. Ada stopped in her tracks, looked over at Okoye and glared at her, and sighed deeply.

Natasha stepped forward and lightly smiled and the twenty-one-year-old. She knew how Ada felt about the mission already, but they needed her.

"Ada, we need your help," she said, seeing the annoyed look on her face. "We have a mission, and we need the second Black Panther--you."

"Natasha, Steve, and... Who are you?" She stopped as she saw Scott.

"Scott Lang," he stepped forward and was reminded on his end she was a hologram.

"Ant-Man," she smiled.
"Yes. How— How do you know who I am?"

"T'Challa... T'Challa told me almost everything about Germany. "Look, I promised myself when I left the chamber that I wouldn't be the Second Black Panther without T'Challa. I would be breaking my morals by doing this mission. I can't."

"Ada, we need you," Steve said.

Ada blinked in annoyance. She hated Steve's huge, inspiring speeches he always has to make.

Natasha continued anyway. "We're calling it a time heist. We don't have Tony as we planned, but we have Smart Hulk now. We need you to help us."

Steve and Scott Lang chimed in with their own words of encouragement as Ada tried to take it all in. They were offering her a chance to make a difference. She felt her heart racing as she realized the enormity of the situation.

Natasha stepped forward once more and had a look of pleadings.

"Ada, this is an opportunity of a lifetime. You could get T'Challa and Shuri back. Will you accept the mission? We really, really need you. We need the Second Black Panther."

Ada looked around at the faces of the Avengers, their expressions hopeful and expectant. She knew she couldn't let them down. She knew she would be breaking her morals. But they were right.

She could get T'Challa, her family, and everyone back. She could get Shuri back.

With a deep breath, she squared her shoulders and exhaled. She looked at Okoye and back to the three in New York.

"Yes. I will do it."