TWENTY SIX

blown up

blown up

᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃ ᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

Ada honestly hadn't thought someone would actually die during this 'time heist'. But when Natasha died, it hurt. She barely knew the woman, but it still hurt.

They were making the glove with all the stones.  Tony was carefully putting the stones in the correct place, making it able for anyone to snap their fingers. They looked at the glove, surprised that they got this far.

"Boom!" Rocket yelled, scaring Tony and Bruce.

-

"All right, the glove's ready," Rocket announced to the rest of them. "Question is, who's gonna snap their freakin' fingers?"

"I'll do it," Thor spoke up.

"Excuse me?"
"It's okay."
"Stop, stop. Slow down."

"Thor. Just wait. We haven't decided who's gonna put that on yet."

"I'm sorry. What, we're all just sitting around waiting for the right opportunity?"

"We should at least discuss it," Ada spoke up.

"Look, sitting here staring at the thing is not gonna bring everybody back. I'm the strongest Avenger, okay? So, this responsibility falls upon me. It's my duty."

"Normally, you're right," Tony said. "It's not about that."

"It's not that. Stop it! Just let me. Just let me do it. Just let me do something good. Something right."

"Look, it's not just the fact... that that glove is channeling enough energy to light up a continent. I'm telling you. You're in no condition."

"What do you think is coursing through my veins right now?"

"Cheez Whiz?" Rhodey joked. Ada didn't necessarily find it funny. It was obvious Thor was struggling, but she didn't say anything.

"Lightning," Thor corrected.
"Yeah."
"Lightning."

"Lightning won't help you, pal. It's gotta be me," Bruce spoke up. "You saw what those stones did to Thanos. They almost killed him. None of you could survive."

"How do we know you will?" Steve asked.

"We don't. But the radiation's mostly gamma. It's like... I was made for this."

"Good to go, yeah?"
"Let's do it."

"Okay, remember, everyone Thanos snapped away five years ago... you're just bringing them back to now, today," Tony reminded him. "Don't change anything from the last five years."

"Got it."
Everyone started protecting themselves, not knowing what was going to happen.

"FRIDAY, do me a favor and activate Barn Door Protocol, will ya?"
"Yes, boss."

The compound started locking up, protecting the outside world.

"Everybody comes home."

Bruce slowly started slipping the glove on his hand, groaning in pain from all the electricity.

"Take it off!" Thor shouted. "Take it off!"

"No, wait," Steve said. "Bruce, are you okay?"

"Talk to me Banner," Tony said.

"I'm okay," he panted. "I'm okay."

Bruce managed to get his fingers together, and...

SNAP!

He fell as the glove fell off of his hand. Clint kicked it away, not knowing what it'd do.

"Bruce!"
"Don't move him."

"Did it work?" Bruce asked.

"We're not sure. It's okay," Ada reassured him. God, she hoped it worked.

Scott saw that the compound started unlocking, so he went to go look outside.

Clint heard his phone ringing. When he walked to go answer it, it was someone who he didn't expect. Laura. His wife. He answered it, hearing his wife's voice.

"Honey."
"Clint?"
"Honey."

"Guys..." Scott started. "I think it worked."

Bruce looked up at the sky, seeing something covering the sun. Something had shot at the compound, causing it to blow up.

Shit.