THIRTY SIX

council

council

᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃ ᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

The ride back to the palace was a quiet one. To Shuri, Ada seemed shaken up. And she really was. No one has ever gotten into Wakanda without permission. No one has ever sneaked into Wakanda.

Once they got back to the palace, Ramonda let Ada go to her room to freshen up before meeting with the council.

"Ada, I'm sorry," Shuri said as she got into the room. Ada turned to look at her, seeing that it was sincere. "It's just been a really tough year, and I feel like I'm the only one who's feeling it. Sometimes it feels like you're just trying to move on and forget about T'Challa."

Ada sighs. "Shuri, that's not true at all. I'm still grieving too. I just don't always show it in the same way you do. We all cope with grief differently."

"I know, you're right," Shuri nodded. "I'm sorry for lashing out at you like that earlier. I just miss him so much."

"I know, Shuri," she said as she put a comforting hand on her shoulder. "I miss him too. But we still have each other, and we'll get through this together."

Shuri nodded as they wrapped their arms around each other for the first time in a while.

"But right now, you lashing out at me is the least of my worries," Ada said as she pulled away from the hug.

"What's your biggest worry?" Shuri asked.

"That your mother will yell at me if I don't get to the council meeting on time."

-

Ramonda, Shuri, Ada, and all the Elder tribes were waiting on M'Baku and the Jabari tribe. When he finally did come in, he was eating something that seemed like a vegetable stick. Okoye was talking about something, but Ada started ignoring it when she saw the man.

"Oh, the river border has been breached, huh?" M'Baku said.

These council meetings happened a lot over the past year since T'Challa's passing. Ada attended every one of them for Shuri.

"If my soldiers were present, this 'fish man' would be bound before us as we speak."

"If your muscle brains were present, they would still be there choking on their fuzzy adornments," Okoye shot at him.

"You bald-headed demon..."

"Show some respect, you two," Ramonda interrupted their conversation.