Snake Language ~ Y4

The morning after the match I woke up with Harry, all of our bones mended and fixed. Madam Pomfrey releases us. I start to head toward the common room when Harry grabs my wrist and starts pulling me in the opposite direction.

"Harry what -"

"I have to show you something," he says, continuing to drag me. He eventually stops us in front of Moaning Myrtle's bathroom.

"Harry...."

He opens the door and pushes me inside, closing the door behind us. Hermione and Ron are sitting on the floor with a scolding cauldron bubbling over with a brown substance. The two look at Harry with wide eyes of concern.

"Harry.... you told her?" Ron whispers. I frown.

"Not yet, but I figured she had to know," Harry responds.

"Bloody hell," I say. The trio looks over at me. "Oh my Godric, what are you three brewing?"

Hermione sighs. "Polyjuice Potion." They look at me and watch my face as I prosses the situation. I bury my hands in my face.

"And why, might I ask, are you brewing polyjuice potion?"

"We think Malfoy's the heir of Slytherin and if we use the potion to disguise ourselves, we can get a confession out of him," Harry explains.

"You realize that you will get expelled if this goes badly and someone catches you, right?" I say.

"Yes, but it's our only option right now. If Malfoys is the heir, he could kill all the muggles-borns in the school." Hermione says.

"How much did you make Hermione?" I ask the girl.

"Only enough for three," she says.

"Ok, fair. Listen, I will help you brew the potion, but you have to promise me that if Malfoy is not the heir, then the three of you will stay out of it. I mean no searching the castle for a monster or the chamber, got it? I'm not letting you three put yourselves in danger."

The trio nods their heads and I sigh. "Hand over the book." Hermione chucks the potions book at me and I start helping with the potion.

~

The news that Colin Creevey had been attacked and was now lying as though dead in the hospital wing had spread through the entire school by Monday morning. The air was suddenly thick with rumor and suspicion. The first years were now moving around the castle in tight-knit groups, as though scared they would be attacked if they-ventured forth alone.

Ginny Weasley, who sat next to Colin Creevey in Charms, was distraught, but Harry felt that Fred and George were going the wrong way about cheering her up. They were taking turns covering themselves with fur or boils and jumping out at her from behind statues. They only stopped when Percy, apoplectic with rage, told them he was going to write to Mrs. Weasley and tell her Ginny was-having nightmares.

Meanwhile, hidden from the teachers, a roaring trade in talismans,amulets, and other protective devices was sweeping the school.Neville Longbottom bought a large, evil-smelling green onion, apointed purple crystal, and a rotting newt tail before the otherGryffindor boys pointed out that he was in no danger; he was a pureblood, and therefore unlikely to be attacked.

"They went for Filch first," Neville said, his round face fearful. "And everyone knows I'm almost a Squib."

In the second week of December Professor McGonagall came around as usual, collecting names of those who would be staying at school for Christmas. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I signed her list; we had heard that Malfoy was staying, which struck us as verysuspicious. The holidays would be the perfect time to use the Polyjuice Potion and try to worm a confession out of him.