Chapter 1

Hi. My name's Stevie Anne King. I'm from Ada Oklahoma. And I'm twelve years old. But I'm not your typical twelve year old girl. I am a horse loving, competitive girl, and my own person. A girl who loves the rodeo. Better yet, a girl who loves to compete in the rodeo. A girl who has been the rodeo queen for the past five years straight. And this is my story.

I remember it like it was yesterday. It was the first day of school for the year and I was so excited to go back to school to see my friends. Even though I saw them all summer long.

I walked into the kitchen, grabbed my plate of food and my glass of milk, and sat down to eat eggs, bacon, toast, and hash browns. It didn't take me that long to eat. Once I was through with breakfast, I put my dishes in the sink to be washed. I grabbed my backpack, put it on my back, and pushed my arms through the arm holes. I hugged my parents. I pushed my shades up on my face to cover my brown eyes from the sun. I put my brown hair up in a ponytail and pulled it tight. I sat my Stetson on my head, allowing it to cover my eyes as well.

"Love y'all. And I'll see y'all after school." I hugged them again.

"We love you too, Sweetheart." They both said cheerfully as they hugged me back.

I headed outside to the school bus stop. The mail carrier stood at the mailbox with the mail in her hands and she was grinning from ear to ear. She held an envelope out to me.

I walked up to her just as the bus pulled up. I looked at her with a tilted head and a questioning look on my face.

"What is it, Sue? You seem very cheerful today."

She laughed. "I have a letter for you. Open it, Stevie. You just might be surprised as to what you find inside."

I took the letter, looked at the front of the envelope, and drew a deep but nervous breath. I read it carefully... twice.

Stillwater Equestrian Academy
219 Student Union
Stillwater Ok, 74078

Stevie King
Kings Ranch
220 W Kings Road
Ada Ok, 74820

My hands shook so much to where I could barely hold on to it. But held onto it, I did. I gave her a hug.

"Wow! Wait here, Sue! I'm gonna go into the house for a few minutes! I'll be right back."

"I will come back later, Stevie. I have more mail to deliver. If I don't see you later, your mom will let me know if you got in or not. Ok?"

"Ok Sue. You got it."

The bus driver honked the horn. I held up a finger to say wait a minute. I quickly ran back into the house.

"Mom! Dad! I need y'all!" I ran upstairs and looked around. I jogged back downstairs. "Mom! Dad!"

They came out of the kitchen in a hurry.

"I thought you left for school, Sweetie." Mom said.

"What is it, Honey?" Dad asked.

"I got the letter I've been waiting for. It's from Stillwater Equestrian Academy. I'm so nervous. Dad, will you please do the honors and open it for me? Plus read it for me. I can't."

I bounced around and motioned for him to open it as I smiled nervously.

He laughed, opened the envelope, and read it carefully.

"Dear Miss Stevie King;

"We here at Stillwater Equestrian Academy have been keeping a close eye on you and tabs on your rodeo competitions. You're the number one youth cowgirl in America as of today's date. We're impressed with you.