Chapter 16

We made it to Sherman in one piece. We got rooms at the Holiday Inn that day. We unloaded the horses and housed them in the stables provided to us. They even had our name on the outside of the stables once again. Stillwater Color Guard.

Ms Campbell went to the downtown area to get a permit in order to do the vaccination event. We brought Barbara with us. So Barbara could do the injections. Ms Campbell came back and hour later with the permit.

We were planning on setting up the following day at the one and only Walmart Supercenter. It would be a triple event. Because we would be hosting a fundraiser and a concert as well. We were looking forward to it. And interacting with the people was especially important. So we made sure the medical supplies, the tent, and the merchandise were in the same trailer but yet separated from each other. That way we could get to them and remove them easier. The fundraiser was going to be at the one store but at both front doors and the garden center door. So the rest of the color guard would be on hand to take over. Well, most of the color guard would be at the stables, practicing. The doors opened at six in the morning and closed at eleven at night. So we would be there by seven in the morning and leave at seven in the evening. Twelve hours. But it would be worth it. It would be the perfect way to start our trip at Sherman Texas.

So we had the rest of the day off. Therefore, we changed into our swim suits and headed down to the indoor pool. We swam and dove off the diving board. We took turns competing against each other in a swim meet. Once more I came in last. Why, I don't know.

"Dang Maddie, I'm gonna have to build up my swimming strength or speed or both. Or whatever you call it." I said. "I totally suck at swimming."

"Oh you're not that bad. You just need to work on your speed." Maddie said.

"Are you telling me I'm too slow, Maddie?"

"No Stevie. I'm telling you we're just faster, is all."

I rolled my eyes and laughed. Maddie and the rest of the color guard laughed too.

"Yeah, well, I'm gonna have to work on something. Because if I don't, I'm still gonna lose. And I don't want that."

Casey came up to me and put an arm around my shoulders and looked at me. Then he pointed at me.

"Look at it this way, Little Girl. You're the Captain of the team. You're better than the rest of us. But you can't be good at everything."

"Little Girl!" I said as I backed away. "Little Girl!"

"It's just an expression!" Casey said.

"Little Girl!" I walked closer and poked him in the chest and looked him in the eyes. "I'll have you know, I just turned thirteen last Thanksgiving Day! I'm not a Little Girl anymore!"

I turned around and walked off and sat down on a bench. I folded my arms around my chest and cupped my ribs. I turned my back to him.

"Ooo!" Maddie said. "Good job, Casey! Next time, don't call her a Little Girl!" She tapped his arm. "Think about it!" She tapped his noggin.

I just laughed. We then started pricing all the merchandise. By the time we got it done, it was seven in the evening. So we locked everything up in the trailers. We piled into the mobile homes and headed out to Red Lobster to eat. That time, I paid for my team's meal tickets. We ordered fish, shrimp, lobster, and the sides, plus ice tea. When we were through, we headed back to the hotel in order to go to bed. Since we would be getting up early, we needed a good night's sleep.

So, we went back to our rooms. That time I was with Maddie, Nicole, Becky, and Lisa. Maddie and me took the bed next to the window with the air conditioner. We showered and went to bed. As soon as I laid down, I was asleep.
*****