Chapter 18

We loaded up the tack and then we loaded up the horses. Then we loaded ourselves up. Then we hit the road to home again. Considering we had three weeks until Houston.

We stopped and got hot chocolate and got back on the road. But we were almost to Stillwater when a semi truck hit the mobile home I was in. The vehicle went off a thirty foot embankment and into the river below. We broke through the windows and started getting everyone out. I went up front and pulled Ms Campbell out. Dad, Mom, and Coach Scott came to our rescue.

I was pushing Ms Campbell through the window. But the water kept coming in. I thought I was gonna drown. I felt like I was being pulled down by the current and by the suction of the vehicle as it began to sink. My lungs were burning. But I knew enough to know to stay calm. Easier said than done. Especially when your life hangs in the balance. The last thing I remember seeing was my Dad's face and the fear his face showed.
*****
I woke up in the hospital. I looked around. I was wrapped in a warming blanket. I was breathing oxygen from a tank on the wall. My chest felt like it was hit by a Mac truck. I had warming IV fluid running through my veins.

Dad sat down on the bed next to me. He took my hand in his.

"Hey Honey, I'm glad to see you're awake. How are you feeling?" Dad asked me.

"I hurt." I said. "What happened."

I tried to sit up but Dad laid me back down. Dad explained everything to me about what happened.

"Is everyone else ok, Dad?" I asked with fear in my voice.

"Yeah Honey. Thanks to you. That was quick thinking on your part."

"Thanks Dad. But who saved me?"

"Your Dad did, Sweetie." Mom said. Her face came into view. She sat down on the other side of me and smiled.

"I'm glad to see you are alive." Mom said as she pushed my bangs out of my face. "I'm going to have to cut your bangs."

"The water was freezing." Dad said. "Your body temperature dropped. So they had to warm you up. But I'm thankful that you're alive."

Mom and Dad hugged me and I hugged them back.

Doctor Stevens finally said that I could go home. But with the strict orders of a three day bed rest, heat, and chicken noodle soup. I agreed.

I was wheeled out to my Dad's truck. I got in and buckled up. Mom made sure I was comfy. She even wrapped the blanket around me. She got in and Dad got in. He put the truck in gear and drove off.

I walked into the house and my friends came over to me and each one gave me a hug. Those that I helped out of the mobile home told me thanks. That included Ms Campbell.

Mom disappeared. About thirty minutes later, she returned with a bowl of ice cream. It was my favorite... peppermint. She handed it to me and I eagerly ate it. Afterwards, she took the bowl and spoon downstairs.

"Honey, the police caught the driver of the semi truck." Dad said. "He was drinking and driving. With a whole lot of kids in the mobile home, he went straight to jail."

"That's great." I said.

"When I saw the current taking you under, I got scared. Plus the suction from the vehicle from it sinking under the water, I thought you were a goner. I'm thankful that you're alive."

"Dad, I wanna thank you for saving me." I said.

"You're welcome, Honey."

Mom tucked me in to keep me warm. "Sweetie, Dad and I will talk to you tomorrow. You just get some rest. You've been through a stressful day. I'm with your father. I'm glad you're alive. Now get some rest. You have three days to rest."