14: What now?

⎔⎔⎔

Hyungwon stood in front of his office, hands trembling as he reached for the doorknob. The large doors hadn't looked this intimidating in a long while. Every inch of his bones begged for him to turn and hide out in a room, probably a broom closet if he was unlucky, somewhere but the rational part of him knew that it wasn't a solution.

So, after minutes of terror-filled hesitation, he finally turned the knob and opened the door revealing the familiar space. Jooheon's head immediately shot in the door's direction and he was out of the leader's chair before Hyungwon could even properly shut the door behind himself.

The soft thud of the office door closing badly echoed in the room as arms wrapped around him immediately in a tight hug causing the tall man to freeze momentarily. He then just accepted the warm embrace, petting the younger on the back before pushing him off carefully. He didn't get that much personal space as the other started immediately inspecting him for injuries, eventually grabbing one of his bandaged hands. 

"What happened?" Jooheon spoke first, looking up at his face likely inspecting it for any sign of lies that he might spill. The leader sucked in his lips and pulled his hand out of the other's grasp, moving it to his shoulder. "I recommend you sit down," he spoke softly yet twistedly professionally, giving the clothed shoulder a firm squeeze.

Next, Hyungwon moved past the man over to the couch he'd spent many sleepless nights on. "Hyung?" Jooheon's voice came from behind him and before he could sit down or reply anything, the other grabbed his wrist. The leader stopped moving, closing his eyes momentarily before shaking his head and turning back to face the younger.

"I'm sorry." the apology fell out from his mouth like water from a faucet, the words barely audible coming out of his mouth. Hyungwon dropped his gaze to the floor, feeling the grasp around his wrist loosen. "Why? What happened? Where's Changkyun?" The other's voice now sounded much more desperate than seconds ago. The man tugged on Hyungwon's arm next when he didn't speak up.

Admitting to the truth still hurt so bad. He didn't want to say it but he knew he had to admit to it. "I couldn't save him." He slowly looked up at the man before him, expecting an angry and disapproving look from him. After all, he'd let everyone down as a leader, hadn't he? He couldn't help a member of the team.

He had let Changkyun die.

A heavy weight lay on Hyungwon's shoulders as silence lingered in the office. He could see Jooheon's eyes glossed over with tears and he dropped his head, one hand still gripping the leader while the free one rose to wipe away his tears. Hyungwon swallowed deeply, blinking away the tears in his eyes. He'd had his chance to cry. Now he would have to stay calm.

"You're kidding? Please tell me this is some twisted joke you two are pulling." Jooheon whispered, but Hyungwon just let out a quiet apology again, afraid his voice would crack if he spoke any louder. "Hyungwon please." The other pleaded, fingernails now digging into the bandage around the leader's palm. But it didn't matter; nothing could hurt as much.

When he didn't reply, the truth likely finally dawned on Jooheon; slapping him in the face with the harsh reality of their world. "How?" The question was a punch to the gut for the leader, the imagery from the Im residence immediately blasting into his mind. Suddenly he felt sick again. His hands trembled as he shook his head, refusing to answer.

"It was Son. Or one of his men, I don't care." He avoided the question shaking his head and clearing his throat a little bit trying desperately to get rid of the lump stuck there. Jooheon glanced at him, eyes hardening at the mention of the enemy. "Those fuckers. We have to.." "I have it handled." Hyungwon interrupted sharply, raising his hand. "I hope." he then added quickly nodding his head, looking away.