Chapter Two

Whatever you do, never run back to what broke you

Frank Ocean

***

"Your death awaits." Declan says with an eye roll.

"You're joking right?" I say as I stare at a restaurant with the title 'The Wormy-Worm'

Declan chuckles and gets out of the car. When I don't immediately follow him, He comes around my car and opens my door for me. "Come on, Valerie. No Wormy-Worm is gonna hurt you." I look around the parking lot. There is only one other car here.

I step out and he shuts the door. The walk from Point A to Point B is quiet and my mind is full of spiraling thoughts. What if this is some secret sound proof murder factory disguised as a restuarnt with some stupid ass name? What if this is were he intends to seek his revenge. What if-

Ding-a-ling

"Uncle Lanny!" A child calls, and rushes across the dining room of what appears to be a normal resturant and into Declan's arms.

"How are you, Ellie?" He asks, giving her a hug and a bright smile I've never seen—nor imagined—Declan Love to even attain.

"I'm good, want to see what I colored in school?" She asked. She wore a cute yellow dress with daisies on them and her hair in pigtails. She had green eyes similar to Declan's and blonde hair.

"I'd love to, how about you go get your drawing and I'll talk to mommy for a minute okay?" He said, a different demeanor entirely from the way he was about three seconds ago.

"Okay!" Declan set her down and she ran off. He glances at me with a soft smile and puts his hand on the small of my back.

"Come on," He says to me in a low tone. "It's okay."

I don't object. Or agree. I don't say anything. I'm speechless from his hand on my back. This isn't good at all.

We walk towards the kitchen of the empty resturant and Declanpokes his head behind the door. "Lore!" He calls.

"Hey Lanny!" The voice of a woman calls back. Considering the child called him 'uncle' I'm going to assume this 'Lore' woman is his sister. I'm going to hope it's his sister.

Declan takes a step back, and then a beautiful woman with dark hair and eyes and a similar facial structure to Declan follows. She smiles when she sees me. She glances at Declan, then back at me. Extending her arm towards me. "I'm Lorelei," Her gorgeous smile looks identitcal to the girl we saw earlier.

I shake her hand. "Valerie." I tell her. As soon as the words leave my mouth though her smile grows.

"I've heard about you." She says, in almost a whisper. I glance at Declan, very confused and his face in stone. His eyes at the ground, he shows no emotion to anything she just said. I start to panic again. If I'm going to be running, now is the time to do it. I glance at the front door. Now's the time.

"So what'll it be today?" Lorelei asks, her smile returning, as if she can feel the tension that has been created. I don't care though. I start running.

I run past the hostess stand, past the little girl with her drawing, past the tables and chairs. I run. I notice Declan is behind me, but I just want to get away. I'm out the door sooner than I expected and I'm running across the empty parking lot.

My car isn't far away so I reach it quick. I pull on the handle but there's nothing. He's got the keys. I crouch and pull a Bobby pin out of my hair and start to pick the lock with shaking hands. That's when I noticed my tires.