Chapter Thirteen: Declan

It isn't hell if you like the way it burns

Unknown

***

"You're fucking dead." I say, walking back into the room after she left.

A part of me feels bad, but my anger drowns out that part of me.

I can't let him go. He's the rat, I fucking know it. From the way Kai explained it to me—what Valerie had said to him—it makes perfect sense.

"Wait, where'd Val go?" Kai asks, slight panic forming on his face.

"She went to bed." I lied. Or maybe I didn't. I don't know where she went. But she isn't here anymore.

"Declan," Kai warned. "Would she want you to do this?"

"Get out." I spat towards Kai.

"Declan-"

"Get the fuck out!" I yelled, and before I could process what I was doing my fist was flying toward him. He took a step back and missed my punch.

"Fine," he says, taking a step towards the door. "But you know as well as I do, she wouldn't want you to do this. I saw the fucking doubt in her eyes and I know that's what she said to you. Don't be a fucking dumbass Declan. I know you care about her."

He opens the door to leave, but stops, looking over his shoulder. "And maybe stop thinking with your fist. This is the second time hit me—or at least tried—because of her."

He leaves. I stare at the wall contemplating everything I'm about to do for longer than I should. Longer than I'd like to admit.

Valerie would hate me if I killed him. Kai would be disappointed. Those two people along with Lore and Ellie—who know nothing of this situation—are the only people that seem to matter in my life.

Is it worth it? Probably not.

But I also can't bring myself to let him go.

This man could be the reason for Nolan's knowledge. Knowledge he doesn't need to know. I can't just let Silas roam around this fucking place for him to snoop if it is him. If he's guilt-tripping Val.

I need to protect her. I don't care who loses their life.

"You're a lucky man," I say, spinning around and finally looking him in the eye. "You know if it were up to me, you'd have already been dead. You'd be rotting in fucking hell right now."

"Aww," He starts. "Is big, tough Declan Love taking orders from his little fuck buddy?" chuckles at his joke that I don't find funny.

My fist meets his nose with a loud crack of the bones breaking. He groans in response. "You better fucking keep your smartass to yourself, you're already on my bad side and that's not a good place to be."

He doesn't say anything to me. His eyes at the ground and his eyes watering from the blow. I see a small tear fall down his face and hits the ground.

"Now I'm gonna say it before I change my mind." I spat towards him. "You're staying locked here until we find out if it's you or not. And if we come to the conclusion that it isn't you, you're fired. I never want to see your fucking face again."

He didn't say anything, just kept his eyes where they were. I kept talking. "That woman is the only reason I've fucking come to this decision. If I had my way, you'd be dead." He still doesn't respond, I tangle my hands in the front part of his hair and yank his head up to look me in the eye. "Don't make me change my mind."