Chapter Fifteen

If there's one thing I am sure of, I am sure that you have always belonged with me

Akif Kichloo

***

"Come on, my love. Let's take a shower." Declan says as he gets out of bed and heads into the bathroom.

Let's?

Okay!

I get up and follow him just as he started it. I leaned against the counter and watched as he pulled two towels down from the cabinet and hung them on the rack. "I got you a gift." He tells me when he turns around. "Well, I didn't pick it out, but I bought it."

"Oh yeah?" I say, watching as he takes long strides toward me. "What'd you get me."

"A dress." He responds, grabbing the bottom of the t-shirt I'm wearing and pulling it over my head. "To wear to dinner tonight."

"When did you have time to do that for me?" I ask him, his hands find my hips and he pulls me toward him.

"I didn't. Lore did, I gave her money and told her to buy something pretty for you." He presses his lips to mine softly. "I think she did a damn good job. I hope you'll like it."

"Thank you, Dec." I say, kissing him back. "When can I see it?"

"Tonight." He kisses me again, then slides my panties down my legs, however, his touch is innocent. He kicks his boxers off and opens the shower door for me to step inside.

The hot water hits my skin and seems to melt all my worries away. When Declan steps in the shower I turn around and look at him. I've never really taken the time to stare like he has with me. He seems to know everything on my body--more than I even know--but I don't know the first thing about his.

Declan's muscular, tanned skin was coated in tattoos. And of course I noticed them before, but I never stopped to really look at them.

The first one that caught my eye was "Les humains sont les vrais monsters"  in small letters along his rib cage.

"Humans are the real monsters." I say, reading the lettering. "When did you get that one?"

"After I-" He comes to an immediate halt in his words. "When I turned 18. That was my first one."

"After you what?" I ask, the water drenched his hair and it came sopping into his eyes.

"I don't want to tell you."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't want you to see that part of me. Or at least for that part of me to become real to you." He explains, leaving me more confused than ever.

"Declan..." I say, cautiously. "What happened."

He sighs, his green eyes starting to gloss over. "When I was 17, I killed my father."

I hide my shock in the sentence and let him keep talking. "He beat the living shit out of my mother, he killed her. He-" He stops again, a tear falling down his face. "He fucked with the people I love. My mom, my sister, he just...I just couldn't deal with him getting away with that shit anymore."

I can't say anything. I pull him toward me and wrap my arms around him while he cried.

And we stand like that, him crying in my shoulder, me comforting him, for long enough to make my fingers to prune.

"I love you." He whispers in my ear, barely loud enough for me to hear over the shower hitting the wall.

"I love you too."