Chapter Fourteen

You are my today, and all of my tomorrows

Leo Christopher

***

Apparently, everyone heard what happened in the training room.

We walked up the stairs and Declan opened the door for me and that's when the stares started. It was about 5 in the morning and the halls were starting to get busy. Everyone doing something important. However, when Declan and I walked out of the training room together, it seemed everyone stopped and stared. Their eyes followed us until we were out of sight.

"Get back to work," Declan called when we felt too many eyes on him at once. As soon as those four words slipped past his lips, everyone started moving again.

"It's crazy how much power you have here," I say as my fingers lace with his.

"They think I'd kill them if they disobeyed. I wouldn't. Not unless they did something deserving of a life sentence, but somewhere, somehow, they got it in their heads that death was their only way out of here. I just didn't say anything to change their minds." He tells me, quietly, in my ear.

I just nod, not responding with audible words. I don't know how I feel about that but at the same time, I know Declan needs to do what he has to do in order for these men to respect them and treat them fairly.

When we make it back into our room, he opens the door with the code and we both walk in. "There's going to be a formal dinner tonight." Declan starts. "It's a meeting with everyone in this house to explain to them not to let Nolan into this house. I want to watch people's reactions closely and see what they say."

He takes a step close to me and tucks my hair behind my ear. "I would like you to go, but you don't have to. If you don't want to, that's okay."

"I'll go." I say.

"Are you sure?" He asks me.

I nod. "I'm positive. I'm just as curious who is trying to kill us and it'd be nice to be in the loop."

He kissed me softly, lingering for a moment. "I just don't want to make this worse." He taps my temple with his index finger and I know he's referring to my nightmares.

"Declan, I'll be fine. I've experienced worse things in my life." He hums in response.

"I wish I could fix you." He tells me, his hands finding my waist and pulling me closer to him.

"Nothing in this world could fix me, Dec. I'm fucked beyond repair." I tell him, my hands finding his arms and leaning into his touch.

"Will you please just try to sleep, love?" he asks me. "You can't just tire yourself out for so long, Val."

I dip my head once, signaling a nod, but not because I want to. Because Declan's tiredness is showing as well. Because I know, not only does he want me to sleep, but he wants to sleep too. But Declan won't go to sleep without me with him. And he needs it just as much as I do.

He kisses my forehead and pulls away from me. I watch as he disappears into the closet and then reappears seconds later with a shirt in his hands. He tosses the fabric on the bed, and grabs the hem of the shirt I'm wearing. I lift my arms while he pulls it over my head, and when he undoes the button and zipper on my jeans, I kick them off.

He reaches around my back and un-clips my bra with one hand, pulling the straps off my arms and tossing it to the floor with every other item of my clothing.

He achieves the shirt from its place on the mattress and pulls it over my head, softly kissing my lips once he does so. "You're so beautiful, my love." He says. "And you're all mine."