Chapter Three

Come closer. Play with my chaos

Nicole Lyons

***

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Declan asks as we drive down the road.

"I have no other choice. There are important things there and I can't just leave them." I tell him. We're driving back to Nolan's place. I need to grab some things before I leave and never return. Declan says he has a place out of state we could go. And thank god because I'd rather die than stay in New York another second.

Declan decided he didn't want Lore and Ellie to stay in the Wormy-Worm restaurant anymore. Nolan doesn't know they live there, but it's the only place he knows I've been with Declan. So it's the first place he'll look. And if Nolan isn't afraid to lie to me and make me kill innocent people? He won't hesitate to kill Lore and Ellie.

"Want me to go with you? He doesn't know who I am." Declan suggests. That's right. Nolan has never seen the face of Declan Love. Only the name.

"Yes." I say, Declan nods. We pull in the driveway in Lore's car. She let us borrow her's, since mine is no good until we get new tires. Declan says he parked his own car down the road from Nolan's place

We get out of the car and we walk to the door of the place I grew up. The place who houses an evil man. A man I don't even know. I pull my key out and open the door. It creaks like it always has, but for some reason this time isn't in a homey-type of way.

Declan places his hand on my back. "I'm right here. It's alright." I take a deep breath and walk in, shutting the door behind me. Just go in, get your stuff. And leave. It's simple. It's easy. If Nolan is cooped up in his office like he always is he probably won't even notice you're here.

"Valerie." I freeze. The sound of his voice stops me from being able to move out of fear of what he'll do. I was more confident in myself that I can do this than I feel I really am.

"I see you've returned. Although I thought I told you to leave the friend outside." Nolan's voice is deep and echoes through the empty house.

Speak. I tell myself. "Who said he was a friend?" I mumble, getting a weird look from both Nolan and smirk from Declan. I give him the just-roll-with-it look. He seems to understand.

I don't want to be afraid of this man. I need to do what I do best. Pretend.

I straighten my posture and clear my throat. "I'm going to go get my things." I say, trying my best to hide the panic behind my eyes. I grab Declan's hand and pull him with me.

"Valerie, No." Nolan says, catching my arm in his grip. I lose any previous confidence I had before. "Tu ne vas nulle part." He says in French. (You're not going anywhere)

Our parents taught us French when we were younger so we can communicate with a less likely chance other's will understand. That's what Nolan is doing now. He doesn't want Declan to know whatever he's about to say.

"Je ne sais pas qui est cet homme, mais je ne lui fais pas confiance. Vous ne devriez pas non plus." He says through gritted teeth. He's angry. Very, very, angry. (I don't know who this man is, but I don't trust him. You shouldn't either)

"Let go of her," Declan says in English. Nolan doesn't even glance in his direction. He in fact tightens his grip on my arm.

"Dites-lui de partir," Nolan snaps. "ou il est mort" (Tell him to leave)(or he's dead)

"J'ai dit lâche-la." Declan pipes in, almost as angry—if not more—as Nolan. "And you said, yourself you don't know me so I wouldn't go around threatening to kill men you don't even know." (I said let go of her)