Chapter Five

You gave me panic attacks and I told the world it was butterflies

Unknown

***

"Wake up, my love." Declan says, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear. I don't know how long I slept but I feel more tired than I was before I fell asleep. "You can go right back to sleep on the plane, let's just get you up there."

I smile through my exhaustion and unbuckle my seatbelt. Declan helps me out of the car. "Is this..."

"Yes." Declan responds before I'm able to get out the word 'yours.' I'm standing—leaning, I guess. Considering I'm being held up by Declan—in front of a private jet.

I figured Declan had money, seeing his house, car and his suits but wow.

He helps me up the steps and into the plane. The interior is beautiful. Tan and dark brown. I see Lore and Ellie sitting in front of a table with watercolors and earn a smile from both of them. Declan leads me into a master bedroom in the back of the plane that's nicer than any bedroom I've slept in.

He pulls back the covers and helps me to bed, then pulls the duvet blankets up to my shoulder. "Get some sleep, Amour," He says in French. He gives me a soft kiss on my forehead, then turns to leave. (Love)

"Declan, wait." He turns around and mutters a quiet 'yes?' "Stay, please."

His lips perk upwards in the slightest form of a smile before he comes to the other side of the bed and pulls back the covers, sliding in next to me. He pulls me close to him and I'm engulfed in his scent. I feel the comfort I felt last night. I fall asleep in this feeling and don't ever want to leave his side.

"Don't do this!" She screamed. "I've done nothing wrong!"

The helpless sounds of pleading for life are very familiar to my ears. I've heard it many times from liars who claim to be innocent. This was different though.

I watched the blood pool in her lap as I sunk my knife deep into her flesh. My senses were taking it all in. The metallic smell of the crimson liquid, the pain-filled moan from the woman, the cold handle of the dagger in my hands that was warming up from my body heat and hers, the salty taste on my lips from the sweat running down my face. It was exhilarating.

I removed the knife and took a step back. Watching life leave the poor innocent woman's eyes. I felt no remorse. I felt no need for remorse. This is who I was. A cold-blooded killer.

"Valerie!" A voice said, but I ignored it. I stayed, watching the woman, intrigued by the silence after a storm.

"Valerie!" The voice said again. I looked at the knife in my hands, I imagined driving the point of it into my gut. I imagined how it would feel. The excruciating pain. I held it to my throat and-

"Valerie, Wake up!"

I'm shaken awake by Declan. The ceiling of the airplane stares back at me. I'm sweating, shaking and my stomach feels like it's about to turn itself upside down.

I immediately sit up straight to avoid throwing up in my mouth and choking. Declan grabs my face in his hands. "Are you okay?" He says, sitting on his knees in front of me. I don't respond. I can't respond. I look down at my hands to see them violently shaking. I've never had a nightmare that brutal before. I've never had a nightmare where I've enjoyed killing the innocent. The thought has never even crossed my mind.

These are the things I've been absentmindedly doing. The blood of the falsely accused has been on my hands. I don't know what to do with this knowledge but-