Chapter Nine

When death takes my hand, I will hold you with the other and promise to find you in every lifetime

Unknown

***

I walked down the long hall's at Declan's side. There were more people around than there were last time. It's around 5am now. I see the first guy I encountered in the hallway earlier and I make eye contact with him and look him up and down.

"Sir," He says with a nod in Declan's direction, then his eyes are back on me. Declan's arm slips around my waist and pulls me closer to him as he nods back to the man.

The man's face drops and seems to lose all his color. His eyes go wide and he looks at Declan and I in pure disbelief. He didn't seem to understand why it was that Declan wasn't cutting his head off right now. That's exactly what I wanted.

Finally, we get to a door that is printed with the words Cohen on the front. Declan knocks three times, then takes a step back. "Please keep an open mind, my love. He's here to help."

I nod, not knowing the full extent of what I'm committing too. When the door opens, a tall, slim man stands in the doorway. He has a white mustache that reminds me of Mario Bros and small glasses that don't fit his head right. "Mr. Love, come in." He says with a southern accent, pulling the door open wider. Declan's arm finds my waist again and we're both inside.

"This is Valerie," Declan says. "I have some concerns and I need you to do what you can."

I look around the room. It looks like a miniature hospital. Beds and curtains around them line one wall, sinks and cabinets line the other. Everything is clean and neat and put where it's supposed to be put. There is another door in the room that is labeled Supplies. Some of the beds are occupied but not many. The room is uncomfortable to look at.

Cohen bobs his head in my direction with a smile. "Pleased to make you're acquaintance, Ms. Valerie. The name's John Cohen. Ain't nobody callin' me John no more though. Call me Cohen."

I smile and nod towards him. He seems to lighten the dark mood the room brings. "I'm worried about her," Declan continues. "She's been having nightmares and can't sleep."

I feel my face start to pinken. I look at the ground to avoid making eye contact with anybody. I hate this. I hate that this is what I've become. Weak.

"I see, I see." Cohen says. "I can prescribe some sleeping pills but I'm not too sure that'll help with the nightmares." Cohen makes a hmm sound, his hand going to his chin. "Well I'm afraid there aint much I can do fer yah. Things like this usually get's solved by therapy or cousiling or Xanax."

"Give me what you got." So Cohen gave Declan some anti-anxiety medication and sleeping pills. I'll just get drugged until I can sleep properly.

Cohen gave us directions for the medication and we headed back to our bedroom. I felt a pit in my stomach that soon Declan would want me to sleep. That he'd want me to close my eyes and visit the place I hate the most. My own mind. My hands started to shake as we walked down the hall and I tried to hide them by clasping them around my back.

"Everything is going to be alright, amour." Declan said in my ear, before punching in the code to the room. The door beeps then unlocks, letting us inside.

"Declan, I can't keep doing this." I say, "I'm terrified of my mind and I can't even-"

"The medicine will help," He says, leading me back to the bed and urging me to sit. When I do, he stays standin. He tucks my hair behind my ear and smiles down at me. "I'll be right back."